1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Becoming a vegetarian

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PeteyPirate, Mar 7, 2008.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Makes you a man, Omar.

Man got to have a code -- and now how to drop a quiche, if need be.

2. rube

rube Active Member

Well I don't like to clean dog shit up off the ground ... maybe I'll cut a deal with my girlfriend to pick up my dog's shit, and I'll in turn push the cart at the grocery store.

3. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

That's a good analogy, if your girlfriend enjoys picking up dog shit as much as mine enjoys cooking.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Are you saying your wife bosses you around?

5. baskethead

baskethead Member

Getting back to your question, I've been a vegetarian for over 20 years, so it's hard for me to make a comparison in terms of my physical health. I can say that I almost never get sick, have a lot of energy and generally feel good, but I don't know if that has to do with my diet or not, but I suspect it doesn't hurt. I also feel good emotionally about not eating an animal, which is why I became a vegetarian in the first place. For some people, that's as important as how you feel physically, though it doesn't sound like that's a consideration for you. If you have any specific questions in terms of what you can eat, or even try to cook if you want, let me know.

6. If you've got a lactose-free recipe, I'll try it. The Future Mrs. Omar don't dig on the dairy.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

There would really be no point.

8. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I worked at a soup place that my dad's good friend owned when I was in high school. He was a vegetarian, and he cooked, I would guess, five of the ten best means I've ever had (none of which were soup, but damn, his soup recipes are outstanding). Like Lester said, portobello mushrooms can sub for either burgers or steak, and they're outstanding. You can also dump some portobellos, other mushrooms, spinach and some spices in a tomato-based soup that is fantastic. I probably had 50 or more different soups, and I liked just about all of them.

I'd be miserable as a vegan, but as much as I enjoy a good burger or steak, I would be OK if a doctor told me to avoid meat. Veggie pizzas, soups, salads, loaded potatoes, fruit, tons of pasta, veggie chili ... that's not a punishment.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Real men cook. Little boys complain and say, "It's not my job to cook!"

Time to learn to cook. It's all part of taking control of your own life.

Agreed. We didn't rise to the top of the food chain by eating alfalfa sprouts.

10. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

I don't understand the whole "My girlfriend is becoming a vegetarian so now I have to as well..." mentality.

I understand being supportive... I really do.

But to put the shoe on the other foot, I would never in a million years expect someone I was with to drastically change their lifestyle just because I had an epiphany and decided to change my life...

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

It worked for Jules Winnfield.

12. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

In my 20s I dated a series of vegetarians, and not only do I love meat, but I don't like three-quarters of the vegetables you'd find in a good supermarket and could easily live without most of the others. Anyway, I was out to dinner with a woman I had met in a bar a couple nights earlier, and she ordered calamari. Good, I thought, she eats dead creatures. So I ordered the largest of the three sizes of prime rib, rare. She says, "Eww. I don't eat red meat." I said, "Well, I sure as hell don't eat octopus." She laughed, and she did wind up making me a hamburger once. Buried under a pile of fucking sprouts, but at least she tried.

Draft saved Draft deleted