1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Becoming a vegetarian

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PeteyPirate, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Wow. Just wow.

BTW, if you go into most restaurant kitchens you'll see more men than women. And most chefs are men as well.

The "repulse" was what threw me. I had this image of you gacking everything you were required to turn on a stove or brown some hamburger meat.

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I wasn't saying that cooking is a woman's work. I was just surprised at the "grow a pair" responses regarding cooking. They seemed to contradict the popular stereotype, as in "why don't you just grow a pair and go to the quilting bee."

3. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

He doesn't have to learn to cook. He just has to learn to grill.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

If you talking about your girlfriend no longer quilting and you worried you were going to be cold during the winter, I'd tell you to man up and go to a quilting bee.

5. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I never said I was worried, and I'm not. All I asked was if anyone had experience switching over to being a vegetarian.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'd recommend that you find a new girlfriend.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

I don't find cooking repulsive. I do find it very intimidating.

Because let's face it: If it sucks, EVERYONE is going to know. It's not like writing a crappy story. Generally speaking, if a story sucks, the only people who will really know it are in the biz. Maybe people will be bored by it, but they'll just turn the page.

There's no turning the page when you make slop for dinner.

So I'll just stick with what I know--no one boils a pot of water like me!--and rely on my wife's great cooking otherwise.

8. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Bingo.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Pate and Corn Nuts again?

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

BQ!

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Learn to cook, Beej, or it's keggers with the kids all next year.

12. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

I've been vegetarian since September and it's been no problem. I do miss some of the breakfast meats, but have gotten used to some of the substitute meats out there ... Boca Burgers and the like. For me, it was body rebellion ... I was feeling sick all the time (for about three freaking years) and finally went to a doctor (about the 10th) who told me my body had developed something of an intolerance to meat. Sounded like the weirdest, dumbest shit ever, but after I cut it out I no longer feel like my colon is loaded down with wet cement, which is nice.

I've also given up most cheeses, which is harder, but not that bad, either. I do eat fish, shrimp and shellfish, so that has made it more tolerable. You can find things out there that are satisfying. Portabello mushrooms are substantial and putting one on a bun is damn near like a hamburger. Artichokes and artichoke hearts are hearty and provide substance. It's not all lettuce and carrots.

Draft saved Draft deleted