1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Becoming a vegetarian

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PeteyPirate, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Cooking is one of my greatest joys in life. You're weird. ;D

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

You know every food you love? Yeah, well, they're all gone. That was the toughest part for me.

I have nothing against vegetarians, but I hate that if you go to a restaurant and she wants to share a side-dish, there cannot be meat near it. I had a bad experience with nachos once; I've told the story before, so I won't do it now.

I suggest you learn to deal with cooking. I was with the vegetarian for seven months -- I was with her longer; she was a vegetarian for trendy purposes -- during college and breaks from school, so cooking really wasn't an issue with us. It only got to me when wing nights would come around and I'd hear the bitching because she couldn't go, so "it's not fair" that I get to go.

Cook together. You might enjoy it.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Grow a pair. Learn to cook.

4. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

The third person to say this. When did cooking switch from being woman's work to manly man's work?

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Sorry. Well, I am really biased. But yeah, I am certain I am healthier for the way I eat. But I am not sure how I can quantify that for you.

I have been a vegetarian for more than 15 years, so its hard for me to even remember anything different. But I have especially been on top of it the last year, during which I cut out all dairy and egg, too (I rarely ate eggs, actually, but did eat things occasionally with egg in it), and have taken what I put into myself ridiculously seriously. My diet pretty much consists of whole grains, beans, brown rice, every vegetable you can imagine, etc. I also have upped my intensity of exercise. I was always pretty active, but I have been more serious about the way I go about it the last 8 or 9 months and been running my ass off. And I feel great physically (even if I am still all mental!).

I'm pushing 40 and I am in better shape than I have ever been--even when I was in my teens and 20s and I played sports and it came relatively easy for me to stay thin. I can't quantify it, by saying, "I get sick less," etc. You can eat as healthy as possible and still get brain cancer. But I know that by eating a low-fat, healthy diet--which I do by default--and by making sure I am not overweight and doing things that have been proven to be unhealthy, I am reducing my risk of certain things, such as diabetes, stroke, heart disease, etc. I do know that when I go for my annual check-up, my doctor tells me I am doing fine. My blood pressure, my weight, my cholesterol, etc. are always at great levels.

I guess the main thing I'd really stress is that healthy eating isn't as simple as just being a vegetarian. You can be a vegetarian and still eat like crap. If your diet is all bleached flour and processed foods with lots of saturated and trans fats, and heaps of cheese piled onto everything, and you consume more calories than you burn off, you are going to be overweight, clog your arteries and feel like crap. And you can do that without eating meat -- really easily. But being a vegetarian is not bad for you, if you do it right. If you choose smart foods and watch what you eat and take care of yourself in other ways, it is very healthy for you.

6. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Like the others said, grow a pair and learn to cook.

Then, it will only be a matter of time before you're posting on the "My favorite Broadway musical" thread.

7. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

When the rest of the universe abandoned "traditional" stereotypes. Actually, my wife and I usually cook together, so it's not anyone's "work" (and I wouldn't consider it work, anyway).

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

That's not how I intended the sentence. ::) Men have been cooking for years, even when it was "woman's work."

Part of being an independent adult is learning to cook for oneself. If you'd like to have some control over what you put in your mouth, you have to get over whatever repulses you about cooking and be ready to prepare your own meals. Hell, I don't cook that often, but when I'm by myself in the house, I cook most of my meals.

I remember a former roommate specifically taking me aside and making me cook until I got to a point where I could do it. He learned by watching another roommate who already knew how to cook.

It isn't about being manly or womanly. It's about being an adult.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Learn to cook, man.

It really isn't that hard.

10. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

That is one way of looking at it, I suppose. I think I'm a fairly well adjusted adult who doesn't like to cook. If that is a knock on my psychological development, I guess I will have to live with it. But I don't see the logic in doing something I can't stand if it isn't necessary for my survival. I mean, it's not as if I starve if I don't cook.

11. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I don't think it's hard. I just don't like doing it.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I'd venture that you don't like doing it because you don't know how to do it well.

I don't know anyone who can cook reasonably well who doesn't like doing it, at least part of the time. There are times, yes, when it's a chore, like laundry or cleaning. But there are times when it's something nice you and your girlfriend can do together, or when you can have folks over and make them something excellent or times when you can make something to take in to the office and share that make being able to cook a real joy.

Also, as others have said, being able to feed yourself without resorting to fast food or boxed dinners is part of being a grownup. (Hi IJAG!) I'm far from the health enthusiast that, say, Ragu is, but trust me when I say that you don't want to leave what goes into your body up to the folks who mass manufacture food. They bleach and leach all the nutrients out and replace them with preservatives, chemicals and high fructose corn syrup.

I eat hot dogs and macaroni and cheese and all the rest at times, but I'll be the first to tell you that the more you can eat food that resembles actual food and that was grown or raised close to where you live, the better you'll feel and the better we'll all be in the long run.

How's that for a long-winded answer? :D

Draft saved Draft deleted