1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Becoming a high school teacher

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Write-brained, Jul 30, 2008.

1. StraightEdge

StraightEdge Guest

I've thought about this as well, but I've decided to go for the master's, then a Ph.D., likely in English. There's a creative non-fiction track I'd love to take. Get a master's, and I can teach entry-level community college or university courses. Get a Ph.D. and I try to get a spot at a university and write some books. I really don't know if I could deal with people aged under 18 after working preps.

Idiot I work with: "Why would you wanna do that? Sounds hard."

No shit. Otherwise everyone would have a Ph.D. I want this challenge. Good luck to you guys, and be proud that you're challenging yourselves to something better than bad 2A volleyball calls.

2. In Exile

In Exile Member

Just keep in mind that most people who get certified to teach end up quitting within three years. It ain't easy. And a quick note to straight edge: No one who gets an English PHd. should ever plan on ending up teaching in a university, at least in a tenure track position. Teach a course or two at $3-5,000 a pop, possible. Tenure track kicking back and writing books in a snake pit of academic political intrigue? As likely as getting that spot with a major metro daily. There's a total glut of English majors, and everything has to break exactly right.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Becoming a teacher from another profession varies by each state.

In some states it is easier than others. In my state, you can take a "career switchers" course at a university or sponsored by a local school district.

A few quick things to think about before diving into teaching.

1. Some people are natural teachers. Some people are not.
    Some people are naturals at working with kids. Some people are not.
    If you can coach a little league team and are decent at it, you can teach. If you cannot coach a rec team (practices are disorganized, kids walk all over you, parents drive you crazy and are on your back 24/7) then teaching might not be for you. Consider this very carefully.

2. Thanks to the bubble bursting on the housing market, two married teachers can actually own a home in most parts of the country.

3. You have job security.

4. You will never have to work on a holiday or the day after a holiday again. (Come cover our Turkey Trot!!!)

5. The pay is better than writing.

6. You will work harder than you are now. Possibly much harder.

7. It is very tough to leave teaching at the school. The next day will always be on your mind.

8. Other than having children of your own, nothing is more rewarding than teaching.

9. Fifth and sixth grades are the perfect grades to teach.

10. Try to limit teaching to one subject. Most k-4 teachers teach everything which means a ton of prep work.

11. You can now coach or ref if you like!!! Great side income.

12. George W. has made the teaching profession almost unbearable. This is another reason to look forward to 2009. It will get better.

4. Shark_Juumper

Shark_Juumper Member

Have you considered subbing first? I did that for a while and it gave a good idea of what grades and subjects I wanted to teach. My state just requires a Bachelors (in anything) to sub.

After 10 years in the newspaper business, I'm student teaching in first grade this fall. I went back to school to get certified and am glad I did it this way instead of an alternative certification in a larger city. I've taken a bunch of methods courses and did field experiences at three schools, which gave me valuable training and skills.

As for pay, around here it depends on the district. Some will slide you up the scale because of you experience, some won't. But starting is almost $10,000 to $15,000 more than what you would make starting out at a mid-sized daily.

5. 93Devil

Oh, if you are in a teachers union state (Pennsylvania, New York, Michigan, Ohio) it will be more difficult to find a teaching position.

If you live in a non-union state (south, west) you will easily find a job, and they pay will still be decent.

I would also stay away from doing special education unless your heart is 100 percent into it. It is a very demanding area of teaching.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

What state are you in where you can get this passport thing? If I could do that I would do it in a heartbeat, but I think my only option is the three year program, something I have no energy for right now.

7. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

My wife became a teacher in Georgia recently after several years in the professional world.

In GA, there are two options if you don't have an education degree: 1. TAPP, which is course that allows you to teach and get certified at the same time and can be fairly easy and quick; 2. MAT, which garners you a Masters of Teaching. That means going back to school and you're given a provisional certificate. Each has its advantages, but my wife opted for the MAT.

She got credit for years in the industry (she was a bioanalytical chemist) and now has a post-grad degree, bumping her up the payscale.

Look into the Masters option if you have it.

8. http://www.abcte.org/teach

9. Shark_Juumper

Shark_Juumper Member

The passport option is not available for public schools in my state.

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

And you can have your paychecks set up so that you're getting paid during your summers off. Getting paid for propping your feet up and watching TV sounds like the life of Riley. Granted, you'll have to go to work on some days when the munchkins aren't there for inservices and whatnot, but you also get like spring breaks and at least a week off around Christmas.

If you can put up with the bullshit that comes with teaching in the school system, it can be a rewarding job.

11. 93Devil

Oh, you can still string for your local paper when you teach.

12. The Granny

The Granny Guest

Teaching history has always been my dream. I already have the bad wadrobe and scruffy-ass look thing going.

Draft saved Draft deleted