1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Becoming a high school teacher

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Write-brained, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Some folks in the school district I cover today tried to convince me that I need to get out of journalism and become an English teacher.

I learned about the two easiest ways to get your certification: 1) a 3-year-program where you train and teach at the same time and 2) a "passport" where you basically pay $800 to take a test. You automatically become a teacher if you pass the test.

I like the first option but because I don't have any teaching experience I would basically start at the lowest rung on the pay scale - which means I get no credit for my 12 years of professional experience. I'm not in this career nor would I become a teacher to become rich, but it seems like there should be some kind of professional credit to encourage more professional crossover.

Even with the expected pay cut I have to admit it's an intriguing career option.

Anyone else thinking about this? It seems like a good move for some of you young fellas.

2. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

You might be surprised where they start you on the payscale. My mom became a special ed teacher a couple years ago, following a route similar to your first option above, and they didn't start her at the bottom of the ladder. They gave her credit for time spent as a youth home director many years ago, though I think they might have given her half the years she actually spent in that job.

3. Well, I got the impression that they're sort of lenient with the phrase "teaching experience", but other than some mentoring I did, I got nothing.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Does this mean you already have your bachelors in elementary or secondary education? I was under the impression you couldn't do anything unless you had an education degree and were working towards the masters.

5. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

That's not true, or at least not in all cases. My mom had her undergrad and master's in creative writing.

6. No, dude. I have a bachelor's in journalism, but my state department of education is likely to accept that as an acceptable substitute for English.

There's such a shortage in teachers now, that most states are trying to get anyone with a bachelor's to become teachers. The one program basically allows you to train and teach at the same time.

7. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

If/when I change careers, I don't think I'd want to get into teaching. Why would I want to deal with the same kind of people I've trying to get away from by leaving this line of work?

8. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Summers off.

9. Now you can tell the little shits what to do. :)

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That depends on the state, I believe. New York, as of three years ago, required a teacher to be pursuing his or her Master's within five years of taking your first job. That, obviously, could have changed.

I've given a lot of thought to becoming a teacher. I asked my mom last week what she thought. I prefaced it by saying, "Well, things aren't going too well in my field." "Oh, really," she said, completely clueless -- like she is on so many topics.

Once she'd been briefed, she told me to look into it some more. My plan is to go back for the Master's next summer and work toward that degree while plugging away as a writer -- and whatever other positions I hold on any given day. Eventually, I'll teach either college or high school English, journalism or public speaking courses.

This was my end-of-the-career plan back in college, but it's become more of a just-in-case option now, which is sad because I really like what I do. But I also love teaching. When I was managing staffs at college, nothing was a better high for me -- I've never done drugs -- than explaining a technique to someone and watching them put it to use. I thrived on that for three years then, and I'm sure that's a feeling that doesn't grow old.

I suppose I should note that both my parents are retired teachers, who are doing quite well for themselves now. That's certainly a perk I hope to have eventually. And I really can't see it in this profession. Not now, at least. The security would be nice.

11. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I was talking about the parents.

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

If you really want them. If you play your cards right, and you can handle the kids for an extra six weeks, summer school is a big money-maker.

Draft saved Draft deleted