1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beckham to MLS?!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by nafselon, Jan 11, 2007.

1. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Agreed. There's this myth that if MLS isn't as big as NFL, NBA, MLB then it's a failure. MLS is in it's 11th/12th year coming up? It's already proved that it can survive.

No doubt about it, Beckham's signing will be a big boost. It's a front-page tease on all the major news sites (not sports, but news). If Adu caused a surge in road game attendance, what will Beckham do?

Also, this is just the beginning. Beckham's first interview in LA will be a big deal. His first Tonight Show appearance will be a big deal. His first practice, game and goal will be big deals. There will be international media by the hundreds.

I can see it now: Beckham scores his first goal and lifts up his jersety to reveal an "I heart LA" t-shirt. It's a great signing for the league and he's worth all the money.

Oh, and he'll be a good player on the field, too. :)

2. Cadet

Cadet Guest

One big point that hasn't been expressly metioned: Beckham. Is. Fucking. Hot.

Even non-soccer fans know this.

This will certainly help female and gay male interest in the league.

3. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Phil Anschutz (LA's owner) has been the league's sugar daddy for over a decade, owning practically half the league at one point. Given the new "designated player" rule, the burden of paying Beckham falls on Anschutz rather than the whole league. Odds are that Anschutz can handle the bill -- and ultimately make it a wise investment. (I'm not sure that the $250M will all be salary, either; some of it may come from adidas. We'll see...)

Update from the AEG/MLS press release: "The deal to bring Beckham to America is thought to be the biggest in sporting history, with industry experts estimating the combined value of the player contract with commercial opportunities in the United States to be in excess of $250 million." So, it's not going to be all salary.

4. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

LA? Mickey Mouse is already in Anaheim. :D

Seems like a slam dunk for MLS and American soccer, for reasons stated. Well, until Beckham takes a cleat to that fabulous face.

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Bit late to this, had things to do this morning, but I'd like to make a few points.

1. $250 mil does seem very high. If you think about it, it woul make him the highest paid athlete in America at $50 mil a year. I think the number is fishy.

2. Beckham is still only 31. He still has a lot of good soccer left in his legs, especially if the Galaxy use him as a right-sided player with license to roam.

3. His presence should allow those around him to develop. Landon Donovan has got to be salivating at the prospect of having Beckham providing him service for the next couple of season's. It also provides MLS with some credibility, but they will need to try and attract a couple of others to join him.

4. Since he doesn't arrive until mid-season (August) so the Galaxy don't have to pay a transfer fee unless Real decides to release him outright before his contract ends, the bump may not comes this season, but next. He won't be on the Galaxy roster for opening day.

5. I think this is a surrender flag as far as his England career is concerned, but he probably saw the writing on the wall. He does speak spanish well after his four years with Madrid, he barely used a translator after his first year in La Liga.

6. With the devoted population that follows Beckham wherever he goes, and I'm thinking not only Europe but the Far East here, the number of jersey sales could be something that maybe even outstrips the hottest NFL or NBA jersey. Think about how many Rockets jerseys got sold in China when Yao came to the NBA. You might get more from Beckham.

I am really excited about this though. While it won't catapult MLS into becoming a big player immediately, it shows that the League is moving in a positive direction and that the plan is working.

6. Wait, did someone really say that Beckham is a bigger star in this country than Gretzky was?

That may be the dumbest thing I've ever read on here.

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

No, they're comparing what Gretzky did for the NHL when he came to Los Angeles to what Beckham could do for MLS making the same move.

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

But, oh my, those set pieces.

Every time he bends in one of those free-kick assists and it turns into a goal that you or I could have finished, it's going to be all over the WWL, and MLS is going to get an instant infusion.

9. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Oh, I'm SO going if/when the Galaxy play at the nearest MLS team about 2 hours away.

10. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

See? It Begins!!

11. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Boy, I hope you're right. It just sounds too fantastic. And one thing that hit me reading it -- if that's the true number, why is it buried so deep in the story?

12. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I read somewhere that much of this number was a product of marketing. AEG will only shell out about $6mill per year.

Of course, that is just something I read somewhere which could be completely off base.

Draft saved Draft deleted