1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beckham to MLS?!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by nafselon, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Jam3131

Jam3131 Member

I am just wondering how they are going to come up with the 250 million?

Wasnt this how the NASL died many years ago?

2. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

The NASL died because one team was able to compile stars while the others were just treading water.

Under the new rules, team has the ability to sign one player to above max contract. Beckham will be that player for LA.

As to where the money comes from... LA turns a profit. They have for a few years. They own their own stadium and it is used for a variety of other events, aka rent money.

I don't see an issue about paying the guy. It will definitely be interesting to see what the other teams, in particular Red Bull, will do to drive the attendance towards them.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Beckhams, plural -- as in David and Victoria. I would reckon being here stateside would help her music career were she to jump back into the fray.

4. ThomsonONE

ThomsonONE Member

This gives the MLS tons of exposure around the world, but will not have much of an effect on popularizing the league with US sports fans. Soccer isn't ever going to be a sport on the level of the NFL, MLB or NBA.

MLS will get it's money back on global merchandising, and as a business move this makes sense. However it only is a business move, it really has nothing to do with sports. For MLS to grow and gain stature as a sports entity alongside the big 3, this does nothing.

Beckham will be just as well known here as Paris Hilton, with wall to wall coverage on E!, Access Hollywood, etc., but he'll never be a sports star here, just a celebrity.

5. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

If that's what she wants, what she really, really wants.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Though nowhere near as big of a move, I'm sure MLS is seeing shades of Gretzky c. 1988.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Or O'Neal circa 1996.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Though O'Neal wasn't looked at as savior of a league.

9. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

$250 Million is a ton of jerseys sold world. I just cant see it!

10. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

This will put Chivas USA in a kind of Clippers-ish position, image-wise.

11. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

While I agree that the league may never gain the level of prominence that is shared by MLB, NBA and NFL, you cannot say that the league isn't growing in popularity.

You also continue to perpetuate the myth that soccer isn't popular. It is. Look at the ratings for the Telemundo taped delayed games versus the TNT live broadcasts. Or how about the World Cup ratings? Or the existence of two thriving pay soccer channels (FSC and GOLTV).

No, MLS may never reach those league levels but the new ESPN contract along with the Beckham signing will create quite the buzz and will definitely draw some fans to the seats. Whether the league has enough quality to keep fans interested is the key.

12. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

This has the potential to be much bigger. Remember, the season following the Gretzky trade, the NHL moronically switched TV networks from ESPN to SportsChannel America. For Gretzky's first four years in LA, his league was out of sight, out of mind. ESPN's made an investment in MLS (paying rights fees for the first time) -- they're going to promote the league more than ever before, with one of the world's most marketable stars as their poster boy.

Beckham's a bigger star in this country than Gretzky was (due predominantly to the former's looks, his wife and their tabloid life). His skill set might be limited, but the thing he does best (those free kicks) are custom-made for the "SportsCenter" era. He's a highlight-show godsend, and the type of player who can captivate people (especially young ones who might play soccer, but haven't fallen in love with the game as a spectator).

Draft saved Draft deleted