1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Because nobody reads the paper on Presidents' Day ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by I Should Coco, Oct 28, 2015.

1. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

Ever heard of networking? That's essentially what you're doing when live-tweeting a game. Communicating with others interested in the game can draw attention to the print product. The problem is, too many reporters don't know how to get the most out of Twitter. Play-by-play is one of the worst ways to tweet during games, almost as bad as doing play-by-play in a gamer. Stats or interesting facts about players or teams that most people probably aren't aware of. That's the types of things I like to tweet about during a game or when previewing or reviewing a game. Can be harder to come by in preps, but it's possible to do if you look enough.

Also, I like to view myself as a journalist more than just a print journalist. I'm still reporting on the game, no matter what platform I use. The print edition is going to be killed off eventually, whether I tweet during a high school football playoff game or not.

2. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

#hottakes work.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Happytown sophomore WR #LongDuckWang14 already has four children by three seniors! #hsfbfriday

I Should Coco likes this.
  4. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

I don't know how many touchdowns he has, but he sure can score.

jr/shotglass likes this.
  5. jr/shotglass

For a tenth-grader, he definitely can go the distance. #yesyesyes

6. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

Not quite what I was going for, but sure.....

7. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

Continuing off topic, but it's really not that hard to build enough info to send out good tweets, or if you don't use twitter, add good nuggets to a story. Even just game-by-game/season stats. If you're organized, they shouldn't be too hard to compile. If you're at the college level, you get the official stats from the school and its that much easier. Then, you're able to write things like " This was Joey's fourth 100-yard game of the season" or "It was a career-high 32 points for Johnny."

Too often, I see writers only focus on the current game and not see the bigger picture. That's why you end up with play-by-play gamers and tweets.

Then again, I'm a research/numbers guy, so maybe I missed the mark and I'm the only one who finds things like that useful.

Batman likes this.
  8. jr/shotglass

No, MN. I think you have the right idea.

9. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Networking? You could tweet once before the game and several times after the game once all your copy is in the paper or on the Website; then you could uh, link to it. Linking to your copy is THE ONLY somewhat valuable part of twitter and that's not necessary cause any "fan" on twitter knows who the beat writers are, if that beat writer is worth a shit or who the columnists are if that columnist is worth a shit. Twitter is NOT VALUABLE at all to a news organization. it's another myth of the geeks who ruined this business.

10. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted