1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Because nobody reads the paper on Presidents' Day ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by I Should Coco, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Good point. I'm sure they'll run as bare bones as possible.

2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Regarding this move giving some employees the holidays off ... as Baron noted, they'll get the day before holidays off. Enjoy that Third of July barbecue and fireworks show!

My previous employer, back in the Midwest, published every day except Christmas. That worked out very well, because I'd much rather a night off for Christmas Eve.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That's one of the things I've always liked about being an afternoon paper. We get the holidays off by putting out two papers in one day. Like the day before Thanksgiving, we'd put out the Wednesday paper and then turn around and do the Thursday paper with a 6 p.m. deadline and then come back Friday morning. Same with the Fourth of July. We have to work Sundays (normally a day off) for Memorial Day and Labor Day, but the deadlines are still early and you get the holiday itself off.
    On Christmas, the one day we didn't publish, we had a double edition that we'd more or less put to bed on the 23rd. A few people would come in the morning of the 24th to make sure the world hadn't blown up and to send pages, and by 1 p.m. the office was vacant until the morning of the 26th. In sports, we started doing our all-county football team that day so we got it done early in the week and had the entire day off.

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

At least one paper in the region didn't print on certain holidays but I think it was Christmas and New Year's.

This is a little more of a step and I always thought the holiday papers were well read just because people had time to sit around and look at them.

Plus I always worked at places where the all-area football team ran on Christmas day and that was always a popular thing.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Every paper I worked Christmas Eve strived to be off the floor by early afternoon at the latest. Most everyone was around and in good spirits, and often there was a potluck to boot. It was actually one of the more pleasant days to work.

By contrast, being in Christmas Day to put out the 12-26 edition felt like solitary confinement.

Doc Holliday and Baron Scicluna like this.
  6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Very true.

Working New Year's Eve can be depressing too when you see everyone else leaving for their fun and holidays and you're chained to your desk. Only good thing is usually the deadline is earlier and we forget about the late-night bowl games, although this year, with one of them being a playoff game, that might not be possible.

7. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Sorry. My lack of being able to get on SJ.com from home and being slot man at work has diminished my time on here.
    Many of you know I work at The Blade. Yeah, things here are not happy-smiley face right now.
    I read quickly through all this and, although I won't share my personal feelings on all this in this forum since many (including a few of my bosses and coworkers) know I post on here I will be glad to share some facts of what has gone on over the last year or so:
    - Our union contract expired in May, 2014. We are still working under that.
    - Talks have been slow and heated at times. We've been spinning our tires for more than a year.
    - Last month, the company hired efficiency experts to come in and watch us work and ask questions. A report on that is due in a few weeks.
    - There is a lot of stuff going on that I can't discuss publicly, but none of it sounds great. Some consider the copy desk a lost cause, but the union continues the fight. A few grievances have been filed with the NLB.
    - The announcement of the no-paper holidays is quite a shock...but no one is getting any days off. We still have to put out a whole paper, it just won't be printed. It will be on the eBlade only (which from what I am told has had a max audience in one day of a whopping 37 views)...so, yeah, I will still be at work on Christmas Eve and Christmas night putting "the paper" out. Holiday pay will still be in place for us that work on the desk (and reporters that work). They will be saving money on printing and delivering, of course.

We did have a fairly successful "no-social media" day to protest what's going on here yesterday. It was election night in Ohio AND the University of Toledo was on ESPN last night against NIU. So to see every Blade reporter go dark for the night and only post that they won't be posting showed some unity.

8. Baron Scicluna

Good for your union on the "no-social media" stuff. It's a small thing, and likely, upper management won't care that much, but at least it shows that your group can make things a little less comfortable for them.

I Should Coco likes this.
  9. YorksArcades

YorksArcades Active Member

Small, to the point of microscopic.

10. Baron Scicluna

Then if it's so microscopic, they might as well stop doing it permanently. Less stress, and a slightly lesser workload.

11. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Sad to hear about all that. Interviewed there some years ago, seemed like and interesting, if particular, place to work.

12. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Maybe the efficiency police who come in will say to the suits, "One thing I've noticed that is a real waste of time and doesn't benefit your organization: Why are your reporters posting things on something called Twitter? Does that benefit your company in any way? By getting people to click on your stories, you say? Don't the few thousand people reading your reporter's tweets know where he works? Won't they click on his story if they have any interst in it? Why does a tweet on another company's website, twitter, that Carmelo Anthony just had a nice spin move benefit your company?? Are you people that dumb making your reporters do something as stupid as post on another company's Website?" Just because some internet geek came up with the idea of making journalists post on twitter doesn't mean it's a profitable idea in any way. Please kill the print edition, publishers, just do it. You know you want to. Kill it.

spikechiquet likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted