1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Because nobody reads the paper on Presidents' Day ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by I Should Coco, Oct 28, 2015.

1. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

... the Toledo Blade won't have a print edition on several holidays. "In an effort to encourage more traffic to our online products – toledoblade.com and the eBlade – we are making an adjustment in our print-publication schedule," the Blade management wrote in a memo to employees.

The no-print holidays (unless, of course, they fall on an advertising-rich Sunday) are Christmas Day, New Year’s Day, President’s Day, Memorial Day, July 4th, and Labor Day. Apparently the Thanksgiving Day edition is too insert-laden to send online.

The full memo from Blade executives, on Romenesko: » Toledo Blade kills print edition for almost all holidays; Newspaper Guild protests the move JIMROMENESKO.COM

Commentary from SJ.com?

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Those of us at three-a-week "dailies" say they got it good.

slappy4428 likes this.
  3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

If Ohio State is playing a semifinal game on 12-31, no paper the next day isn't going to be a popular choice.

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Or they'll see little reaction, which would be many times worse.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Christmas Day paper circa pre-1990 or so was always one of my favorites; it was like a print edition Internet, full of all the wire filler stories the desk had been saving for months.

reformedhack likes this.
  6. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

I'm confused. Goal is to push traffic to the digital products, including the eBlade, but as far as I can tell, that's just the e-edition. So is the paper still being designed for those days to create .PDFs for the eBlade?

7. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Yup. In short, no printed paper but there will be an e-replica. Wonder if they'll get pushback from subscribers.

Block also owns Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. I don't think they would try it there because the Tribune-Review would eat them alive, but that's just me.

8. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

This surprises you? Ever heard of Black Friday?

9. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

This is a cost-cutting measure that screws employees like reporters, editors, pressmen, etc.

Think of all the people that will not be paid holiday pay for working these holidays now. Yes, they'll still get a holiday but not the extra pay they would have received for almost EVERY holiday of the year. Do it once, the savings is minimal. Do it every holiday, that's significant and probably worthy of a couple of fat bonus checks for the bean counting publisher and his managers.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Unless they're putting out an a.m. paper two days before, the employees are still going to be working on the holidays to put out the paper the day after. It can save them money if nobody is working the day before the holiday.

11. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Sarcasm is tough to detect on message boards.

12. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Most of those editions are pretty thin as it is.

Draft saved Draft deleted