1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beautiful gold, so-so silver and shameful bronze: The running Olympics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by deskslave, Aug 6, 2008.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Costas had to bail to host last night's "live" coverage. I'm looking forward to the conventions, which will be shown live and early in the west. I think I'm sufferering from TV-induced jet lag.
    I don't understand why there were so few shots of the athletes "enjoying" the closing ceremonies. Perhaps it is just Olympic burnout, but I wasn't that impressed with final week of coverage. Very choppy coverage, considering they had hours to edit it together.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

suck it, china.

3. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Actually, it was on the sked for that time slot for several days.
    I kinda got the sense which way the match was going by how it was edited; I knew they were going to want to spend much more than an hour on it, so when they started showing set 4 point-by-point with the U.S. up 2-1, I figured that was how it was going to go. When the U.S. trailed 20-17, I started to wonder if I'd misjudged. So there still was suspense.

4. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

For what it's worth, the program info on my DishNetwork had men's volleyball on the slate before the USA even made it to the gold medal match.

5. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

He could have taped that days before. And what was with NBC reversing the order of post-ceremony stuff? Domingo and the gal actually sang next-to-last, not last. Two years from now, NBC gets Vancouver ceremonies live. Can Dick Ebersol handle it?

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I hear they're going to show the 2010 Games on tape delay in the West

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I will so gut Dick Ebersol if that happens.

8. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

The West? East too.

They would have to run events at 1 a.m. to be able to show them live at 8 p.m.

9. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Simon, you're thinking 2012 in London. Vancouver has 2010. Hockey, skiing and all that. And since NBC ran Salt Lake City's Game on delay in the West, even in SLC, that's guaranteed for Vancouver.

10. Simon_Cowbell

Oops.

Oozing with fail.

Oosterhuis.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Re: Beautiful gold, so-so silver and shameful bronze: The running Olympics threa

Very interesting article on NBC's prep work on Beijing. Ebersol consulted with Phelps to make sure he was okay with swimming in the AM, before pushing for the schedule change to allow NBC to air the swimming in prime time on the East Coast. And the REAL reason the Games started on 8/8/08. It's not an ancient Chinese secret.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/25/sports/olympics/25nbc.html?ref=television

12. Simon_Cowbell

Re: Beautiful gold, so-so silver and shameful bronze: The running Olympics threa

Ebersol: legend

Sons get sailing lessons from Rogge. He's too rich for words.

Draft saved Draft deleted