1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beautiful gold, so-so silver and shameful bronze: The running Olympics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by deskslave, Aug 6, 2008.

1. markvid

markvid Guest

And mostly off the bench, no less.

2. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Seriously Starman, both teams got fucked by the refs in the game today. Also, Fernandez impressed me a lot, and Rubio played well for someone so young who got hurt early on a team with no real back-up.

And the US team did look genuinely happy and excited after the victory, nothing rehearsed about it in my eyes.

As for the games, that's all she wrote. The closing ceremony was not very good, so they will probably get cut down a lot for the show tonight.

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Yep. Sylvia Fowles is a great player.

4. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

Been watching Sylvia since she was a freshman in high school, talk about seeing greatness the minute someone steps on the floor. There wasn't anyone in the Lakeland Center who didn't believe she was going to be one of the next stars in women's basketball.

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

She was unbelievable.

6. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

That's what I thought when I saw our roster before the games, now I'm not so sure. We brought more big men in 02, 04, and 06 and did a helluva lot worse. If this is the result of going with smaller faster lineups I'm all for it.

Collins sorta hit the nail when he was talking about how Coach K realized from watching our recent failures that two big one-dimensional bangers on the floor at the same time doesn't work very well in the international game, because you need more versatility and perimeter skills out of the 4 spot. They got that this year using Lebron and Melo as undersized 4s.

I've got nothing to bitch about with this team, they did us proud this time.

7. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Way too undersized most of the time? Were we even watching the same games?

8. markvid

markvid Guest

Norman, I've got to go with mustard on this one.

9. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Memo to London: PLEASE don't try to top China's ceremonies. It's not the English way to be ostentatious or showy, notwithstanding Rolling Stones and Pink Floyd concerts. Just make the Games about the athletes, make sure your public transit runs on time, let the pubs stay open 24 hours and just be the solid, upbeat people we've come to know and love.

And for the love of God, lock up your soccer hooligans for 16 days. See you in four years!

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Well, that's one way they'd be like the Chinese then. Well, if you replace "soccer hooligans" with "protesters", and "16 days" with "10 years".

11. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Not as bad as this one:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/4090/saturday-night-live-weekend-update-all-drug-olympics

12. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Best video to come out of this Olympics:

Draft saved Draft deleted