1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beautiful gold, so-so silver and shameful bronze: The running Olympics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by deskslave, Aug 6, 2008.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Ok, the U.S. unis suck. Ugh. The little wussy horizontal stripes are awful.

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

They're not good, are they.

As far as the players in them are concerned, they've settled nicely after the opening five minutes. I like the inroads Wynne is making down the right.

Japan doesn't seem too confident on crosses or long throw-ins into its penalty area.

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

And of course as soon as I type that, Japan almost takes the lead on a beautifully worked corner.

Stuart Holden has to get off the line faster there, he played the whole thing onside, and then just stood and watched after coming out too late.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

The one thing that strikes me about the U.S. team is how willing they are to dive into tackles. When they haven't won the ball, the rest of the defense has been stretched defensively.

Nice shirt Marcelo.

Man, when was the last time Belgium was in a major tournament? Oh and that was a stunning goal by Italy.

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

There we go, great run down the right again by Wynne.

Goalie most likely should have had it, went straight through him, but 1-0 to the U.S. thanks to Holden.

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Wow. This ref just doesn't believe anyone when they get pulled down in the area.

Maurice Edu is very lucky, because he got caught completely out of position there.

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

If Edu is going to let strikers get in front of him like that on balls played into the box, he isn't going to have a long career with the Nats.

8. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Any idea if one of the NBC channels is going to show the game on replay later?

9. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Great win for the U.S. men. If they can survive this group, I'd give them a decent medal shot.

10. Webster

Universal HD replayed the US women's game last night, I'm sure that they'll do the same tonight for the men.

11. Webster

Kind of amusing that the Japanese lineup had players named Honda and Toyoda.

12. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Lots of mistakes in the announcing booth for the soccer game.

Japan was the opponent. Not China.

And the highlights at halftime were like this...

Draft saved Draft deleted