1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beautiful gold, so-so silver and shameful bronze: The running Olympics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by deskslave, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Re: Beautiful gold, so-so silver and shameful bronze: The running Olympics threa

Somebody should have told the ladies that, even though the Opening Ceremony is Friday, today's match was not a friendly.

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Not with the next two games against Japan and NZ and i believe 8 of the 12 teams making it to the QF.

3. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

After an Olympic lull, Beijing makes Games interesting again

ESPN.com senior writer Jim Caple makes some decent points, but he lost me here:
    Seriously? Perhaps someone should e-mail Caple a link to Jones' thread. Better wait until he gets back to the States, though, since he'll presumably be needing Internet access while he's over there ...

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Just a random thought, but given how much they're trying to manage the press, crowds, foreigners, etc., is there any chance China pulls some shenanigans with the actual competition?
    Say a U.S. hurdler beats their stud (can't recall his name, but I think he won gold in '04) or a Paul Hamm comes from nowhere to win a medal in gymnastics. Does a positive doping test mysteriously surface? Could we see a boxing decision along the lines of Roy Jones Jr. in 1988?
    I wouldn't put anything past the Chinese at this point.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Re: Beautiful gold, so-so silver and shameful bronze: The running Olympics threa

I don't think China has that much clout with the IOC officials.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I was thinking more along the espionage/conspiracy theories line. I'm just interested to see if a few high-profile athletes suddenly test positive.

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Yeah, this isn't a complete disaster for the U.S. women. Now if the men go down a little over five hours from now, that's going to be a tough one to bounce back from.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I've got the alarm set!

9. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

With the way I am right now, I may just stay up.

10. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I'm up late to watch at least part of this match. Hopefully, it'll kick my sleep schedule back to where it belongs.

11. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Uh, Novak, what's Jozy Altidore doing on the bench?

Oh, and why the hell is Balboa the analyst? NBC's team selection fails as well.

12. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

You know I think Adu and Altidore might be the only names I recognize on the U.S. squad.I am fail!

Draft saved Draft deleted