1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beaufort (S.C.) Today closing

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mystery_Meat, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

http://www.beauforttoday.com/

Not much information, but the last issue is to be published Friday.

A shame. The free daily is having a hard time weathering this storm, it seems -- that's three reasonably prominent closings in the last two months, and the second in the last two weeks.

2. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

One of its writers (Justin Jarrett?) just one three APSEs.

You big boys out there, snatch this fella up.

3. JJHHI

JJHHI Member

Just to clear this up, I work at the Beaufort Gazette and The Island Packet (our sports section merged last summer), the McClatchy dailies in Beaufort and Hilton Head Island. Beaufort Today is a Morris publication that was launched within the past couple of years (not sure about the exact timeline). Oddly enough, Beaufort Today is actually a weekly publication.

It is, nonetheless, a shame when any newspaper closes its doors. Just wanted to alleviate any confusion.

Justin Jarrett
    Assistant Sports Editor/Online
    The Beaufort Gazette/The Island Packet

4. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I think I confused it with the Bluffton Today, which is in fact a daily. Right? I can't tell 'em apart without a scorecard.

5. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

Nonetheless, Justin, congratulations ... and move it on up, brother!

6. JJHHI

JJHHI Member

Indeed, Bluffton Today is a daily. Based on the success of that publication, Morris launched weekly papers in Beaufort, Hardeeville and Hilton Head Island, though the spinoffs are all weeklies.

Freddie, thanks for the congratulations; I appreciate it. But I'm not going anywhere. Life is good here in the Lowcountry.

Draft saved Draft deleted