1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beatles, Stones or Led Zeppelin? (or someone else?)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Steak Snabler, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Got this idea from the Beatles thread, but which do you consider the greatest of all-time?

I honestly don't know, though I think one of them is.

I go back and forth between the Beatles, the Stones and Led Zeppelin as to which is my favorite. They all have their arguments:

The Beatles were not only the greatest pop band of all time, but they also started experimenting with other forms of music midstream. What they churned out in less than eight years together remains absolutely astonishing.

The Rolling Stones were the first serious rock band to write songs about human frailties like drug use, plus Mick Jagger is the living embodiment of a rock star in every sense of the word. What keeps them from being the obvious No. 1 is that they've hung on too long. As Slash said, "Mick Jagger should have blown his brains out after Some Girls."

With Led Zeppelin, every member of the band was a virtuoso. You can make a legitimate argument that all four were the greatest ever at their "instrument" (Plant's being his voice). Also, what they did in terms of taking total creative control of their music and image was unprecedented.

What do you all think? Which one is the greatest, or is it none of the above?

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I've always thought the Beatles were because they laid the foundation for so much. Plus, I've never met anyone that didn't like at least one Beatles album. The same can't be said for the Stones or Zeppelin.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

The Fab Four broke new ground.... hell, they figuratively dug through to China.

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

beatles....

then everyone else. 8) 8) 8)

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

As I wrote on the other thread, I'm a huge Stones fan (not so much on the Beatles) but I think without the Beatles there is no British Invasion. No Stones, no Floyd, no Who, no Zeppelin etc.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Kind of what I figured so far. I'm just glad no one has mentioned another band yet.

7. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Zeppelin and The Beatles are my two favorite bands. I own most of their albums but for some reason never got into The Stones at all.

If held at gunpoint, I'd pick Zeppelin as my favorite and The Fab Four as the best.

8. Chef

Chef Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The Grateful Dead

[/duckingforcover]

10. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

It's like picking which child is your favorite--can't do it.

I will say the Stones four album string of "Beggars Banquet", "Let It Bleed", "Sticky Fingers" and "Exile on Main Street" is probably the most amazing back to back to back to back run in music history. Unless you factor in the Beatles starting with Rubber Soul where you could go six deep, but I've just never been a huge Peppers fan.

11. 1) Beatles.
    2) (1000 way tie)

12. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Beatles-Stones is a tie.

Led Zep sucks.

Draft saved Draft deleted