1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beatles remasters: Are you buying?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Trey Beamon, Sep 1, 2009.

1. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Another vote for Can't Buy Me Love -- I'm not the world's biggest Beatles fan, but found it interesting and well-done.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Actually, the aeolian mode predates classical music.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yeah, I have that book too -- IIRC it came out in 1978 or so, when the Pistols were still together and Frampton could still be considered a "star."

As I remember, the reunion was a dud -- both John and Paul indulged their worst tendencies, and George had traded in his Hare Krishna devotion and immersion in Indian music for a holy-roller evangelical Christianity and a sudden obsession with synthesizer disco. The audiences reject all the new music and the tour becomes a complete disaster -- I think it ends with them being dumped off the bill and playing farm-out dates at county fairs and dive bars.

It was funny when it first came out, but not very funny after Lennon's murder.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I dunno ... kind of sounds funny to me.

Had Lennon not been murdered, it would have been interesting to see where the Beatles' would be thought of the public perception. Would they have done something to fuck up their goodwill?

I've got a feeling they'd be in that Stones, Who strata where they'd always have their devoted base, but a lot of others would tune them out for being geezers, especially if they want into cash-grab tour mode as both the Stones and Who did in the 90s.

5. KG

KG Active Member

I downloaded it, but I haven't had a chance to listen yet.

6. Starman

Well, barely 7 weeks after I placed my Best Buy order, got put on the backorder list, got a series of dopey e-mails indicating it would be ready for shipment "soon," on Thursday afternoon, the UPS Santa leaves a box on my doorstep.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Starman

Well, as soon as the treasure trove arrived, I began my New Depression Santa Christmas project: burning CD copies for all my sibs.

In the process of doing so, I am actually sitting down and listening to every single song on every single album, pretty much in order. I've been about as big a Beatles freak as it's possible to be, but amazingly enough there are a few songs on the very early albums I've only heard once or twice in my life, and a couple I've never heard at all. (My parents didn't buy me albums while I was in grade school, when I got to album-buying age I didn't have enough money to go back and buy the earliest ones, when CDs started coming out in the late 1980s I missed picking up some of the early discs).

The sound is dramatically improved -- it's about the same level of improvement as moving from vinyl to CDs. The very early hits, which we probably remember from mono originally, are much crisper -- you can isolate the individual instruments, especially Paul's bass, which you really couldn't do on the earlier versions. I think some of it may be there's been somewhat of a sea change in production standards since the 1980s -- in the 1980s, everything was mixed as sharply and trebly as possible -- now, a warmer, more bassy sound seems to be the standard. The new remasters seem to have more warmth (long a big point of contention in the never-ending battle of vinyl-vs-CD) but at the same time, more clarity.

Up to Sgt. Pepper tonight. Just for fun, I cued up "Love Me Do" just before segueing into "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band."

Like stepping directly from the Wright Brothers' workshop onto the bridge of the Starship Enterprise.

It's also incredible to remember "Pepper" was recorded on 4-track. :eek:

Draft saved Draft deleted