1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beatles remasters: Are you buying?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Trey Beamon, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Add Mick Jagger and the Stones to this list.

2. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

They're available today? Did someone in the electronics department have a brain fart?

(Jumps into car, heads to Walmart)

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

"World, meet Mick Jagger: solo artist."

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

It's just a throwaway.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Jagger's last solo album got 4 1/2 stars and if any person on this board can name a single song off it, I'd be stunned.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Christ I don't even know if I can tell you the name of it. Was it Goddess In the Doorway? And no, I don't think I ever heard it. Aside from "Throwaway", which is cool more for Jeff Beck's guitar than anything else, I am no fan of Mick Jagger: solo artist.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

In the same way that SI has archived all of its former issues on the Internet, RS has put all its record reviews online. Here's Wenner on "Goddess in the Doorway":

http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews/album/114714/review/5942832/goddessinthedoorway

(They actually gave it five stars, Mizzou).

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

If you count Best of Mick Jaggar -- I own it. "Just Another Night" is a great song from his earlier solo album.

Funny I own many of The Beatles Albums and like most of their work but when I want to listen to music they never seem to come up on my radar.

I would be much more excited about a Kinks remastered album.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I remember reading that now. Years ago RS ran this review of J. Geils' Love Stinks:

http://www.rollingstone.com/artists/jgeilsband/albums/album/210715/review/5944189/love_stinks

A couple of issues later Wenner ran a little piece at the front of the mag ripping the review and going on about how strong this record is. For the record, I agree with the review, did then, still do now. How Wenner, as the lord of all he surveys at RS, let the original get into print is something he never clarified.

10. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I am a big Stones fan and loved Jagger's earlier solo album "Wandering Spirit." "Goddess in the Doorway" was a piece of crap.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Mrs. Huggy is a huge Beatles fan and owns many of their CDs but I never listen to them and have known of their songs among the 8,000 or so on my iPod. Like some others on this thread I prefer the stuff they did up to Sgt. Pepper.

12. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I'll probably pick up my favorites when they split up the collection and I don't have to buy them all at once. I'd be all over the White Album, Revolver, Rubber Soul and Abbey Road and would like to listen to the remastered Sgt. Pepper, just to see what it sounds like.

However, I don't have $260 to blow on this. I already have the music and it's just me listening to it.

Draft saved Draft deleted