1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beatles remasters: Are you buying?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Trey Beamon, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I downloaded all of them this weekend. The best part about it is some of the "forgotten" songs that never made some of the compilation discs over the last couple decades.

2. dieditor

dieditor Member

Our Wal-Mart had everything on sale a day early. I bought the stereo versions and am ripping them now for my iPod. I'm using Apple Lossless format to keep as much quality as possible. The guy at Wal-Mart who rang me up was probably that pimply-faced kid from the Simpsons and asked "why would you want 14 CD's from the same band?" Now what do you say to someone like that?

3. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

You should have recommended that he buy them, listen, and then maybe he'll know what good music is for the first time in his life.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I've always considered the Beatles my second favorite band of all-time (Led Zep is No. 1) but I feel like I've re-discovered them with these CDs. I think the only Beatles songs I had listened to in the last decade came off the CD with all the No. 1 songs.

5. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

I'll probably pick the discs up one or two at a time. I have always enjoyed their earlier pop period as opposed to the later experimental albums. I've held off buying any of the CDs for several years so I wouldn't have to double dip.

6. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

I listened to Revolver on my way in to work today. I forget how short these CDs are. I heard the entire CD on my 30-minute drive.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

Ditto. The Please Please Me album might be one of the most spectacular feats of recording in the history of music - 10 songs, completely mastered, in less than 10 hours of studio time......and not a single dud in the bunch.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

'I identify myself through my consumption. Every time a product of which I approve is repackaged and re-released, I am compelled to purchase it.'

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Was just about to post that. What a useless article that one was.

Indeed. So I'm sure you respected this great band with a legal, paid-for download of the new remasters. Right?

(Sorry; just think journalists should never seek to get anyone else's work for free. If it wasn't from some illicit, free site - which often have lesser sound quality - then my apologies).

I don't plant to buy these (can't justify the expense when I already own the old ones), but I look forward to hearing more. Hoping it's not like the Doors remasters: "We heard instruments we didn't know were there!" So now the songs sound different. Yay.

Unless Springsteen or U2 put out new records. Then the number goes up.

10. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Someone whose opinion I respect told me the remasters are phenomenal.

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

The Beatles are not available anywhere through legal download... though Apple may change that tomorrow.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

My wife decided to learn English as a child . . . because she loved the Beatles and desperately wanted to know what they were singing about.

God bless you, Fab Four.

Draft saved Draft deleted