1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beatles remasters: Are you buying?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Trey Beamon, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Here's the "Sgt. Pepper Reprise" in mono -- significantly different than the stereo mix, includes some very prominent background shouting in the fadeout edited out of the stereo version.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Nah - for the record companies "remaster" really means lets see how much money we get from the poor saps who believe this stuff. Rolling Stone Mag is in on the fleecing.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Speaking of Rolling Stone and the Beatles, the recent cover promising the inside story of why the band split was useless.

I'm not a huge Beatles fan (more of a Stones/Who guy), but I have read a lot about the band and there was nothing in there I didn't know, just pages and pages of old quotes and the usual suspects like Yoko, Allan Klein, Lee Eastman etc.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

I would buy the earliest albums, like the first three, because I've always believed the Beatles peaked in 1963-64. They did a lot of highly impressive work after that, of course, but I love the early stuff more than anything......their originals and their covers, most of which were usually pretty dynamic.

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

For what it's worth, I heard the remastered "Sgt. Pepper's/With a Little Help From My Friends" and "Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except for Me and My Monkey" on the radio this morning, and they sounded spectacular. They didn't just make everything louder. It seems like what they did was overcome some of the technical restrictions of the time and clear out some space between the instruments so you can hear EVERYTHING better.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

They played a snippet of I Am The Walrus with the original CD and remastered version back-to-back on the BBC. The only difference I could discern is you could pick up the organ/electric piano a bit better on the remastered version.

If I didn't have the albums already, I'd be enticed. But since I have most of them, I'm not.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Listening to Remastered CDs on an ipod is like driving a Ferrari in a garage.

8. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

I read that and it actually made me kind of mad about the ten minutes of my life I wasted on it that I'd never get back.

"Nobody liked Yoko." "Paul got a big ego about the band." "John was kind of over it."

I've had sneezes that were more relvelatory.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

You have to take Rolling Stone's Beatles coverage with a major grain of salt. Wenner is such good friends with Yoko that it's reflected in their coverage. If memory serves, her last solo album got 4 1/2 or 5 stars, a rating that's usually given out once or twice a year.

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

It reminded me of their absolutely pointless cover story on Zeppelin a few years back, a band they constantly trashed when they were active. Nothing new, loads of old quotes, just crap.

I should have seen the red flags when I read Wenner's brown bunny take at the front of the mag on how the Beatles did everything but cure cancer back in the 60's. Every graph seemed to include some reference to Wenner hanging out with John and Yoko.

11. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

No plans on buying this, but I have been waiting to buy RockBand until the Beatles version came out. So the only Beatles item I plan on purchasing anytime soon is Beatles RockBand.

12. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

I'm probably just going to replace my damaged copies of Revolver and the White Album.

Draft saved Draft deleted