1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beatles remasters: Are you buying?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Trey Beamon, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Unless you've been living under a rock, you know that the remastered Beatles' albums/box sets will be released next Wednesday.

The box sets are available in stereo and a limited edition mono version. While the price is steep -- both versions retail for well over $200 -- the demand has been great. Each set is tough to find online; both are sold out on Amazon, though they're available on the Amazon UK site. You can also buy individual stereo versions of each record.

Here's the Los Angeles Times' take:

How do the newly remastered Beatles CDs sound?

As one who got a sneak preview recently at Capitol Records in Hollywood, let me boil it down to one word: Fab.

These won’t leave anyone feeling that they’ve been missing out for all these years, and they’re not likely to make Beatlemaniacs out of anyone who hasn’t cared for the Liverpudlians’ sound before now.

But they do offer something that might have seemed nearly impossible so many years down the line: a fresh listen.

Are you taking the plunge? If so, are you going mono or stereo? Why do you prefer one over the other? Or will you just grab a few of your favorite Beatles albums instead?
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

It's very tempting. But considering I already have 10 of the 14 albums, I just can't rationalize dropping a chunck of change like that on this. Maybe avaliability will be better around Christmas. It's definitely on my WANT list. I always wanted to buy the Beatles Anthology set and never did that either. :(
  3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I have a tin ear for this kind of stuff. Will the sound quality really be that much better than what is already available ?

Does the Michael Jackson estate get a royalty on this ?
  4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'll be downloading all of it. ;D
  5. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

If I had the money, I'd stand in line for hours to get this IF the sound quality was really going to be that much better. And I'd go stereo all the way.
  6. JR

JR Active Member

I'm with Boom: I'm not sure the sound difference is worth $250.00 but hey, that'd mean I'd have owned all versions of The White Album including vinyl, eight track, casssette & CD. :)
  7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

This is a rare case where they desperately needed it to be remastered.
  8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I have all the albums and then the CDs, everything ripped into my mp3 collection, and frankly, I don't think my ears can hear the difference. No way I am spending $200+ for that.
  9. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

It depends. I've heard some real hatchet jobs in the remasters department before. Generally though, the sound comes across more crisp and you can pick up a lot more details.
  10. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

I own no true Beatles albums (only compilations), so I'm seriously considering a purchase.
  11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I think the Beatles (or whoever is making the decisions) blew a lot of good will on this sort of thing with "Anthology," the third volume of which was a rather useless collection of studio banter and rough-cut demos.

I've got every Beatles song ever recorded (including several versions of some) in mp3 format and that's good enough for me. I'm a huge music fan (and the Beatles are my favorite artist), but not necessarily an audiophile.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Hopefully I'll get 'em as gifts.

Reportedly, the remastered versions are as audibly improved from the previously-released CD versions as the previous versions were from vinyl.

Since I do 90% of my music listening in my car, with highway noise in the background, or on $3.00 plastic headphones, how much of an improvement that'll be for me I don't know.

But it would be nice to renew my collection.
Draft saved Draft deleted