1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beating the system - travel question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PaulS, Sep 13, 2009.

1. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Got asked for my VIP card twice. Didn't even have one the first time, and I actually had to find another hotel because the desk clerk jacked up my rate from something like $99 to $180. Meanwhile, my competition from the other paper was checking in simultaneously, with a nicer clerk, didn't get carded and got the room, the rate and the points. Grrr.

Got asked for my AAA card once. Had it. One year, my company even picked up my membership when I demonstrated how much it saved in hotel expense. Some bean counter, higher pay grade, put a stop to that though.

BTW, legend has it that Sam Huff, old Giants linebacker who went to work with Marriott, made sure for years and years that sportswriters couldn't get VIP cards. He apparently held a grudge.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'll add props to the NMPA (Motorsports Press Assoc) for having the VIP card. But like others have said, sometimes the AAA rate is better. Seems like the VIP card gets me the best rates maybe one out of every three trips.

Never thought about Marriott vs. other properties' loyalty programs, I've been entrenched with Marriott for so long now that I can't imagine ever trying anyone else. I've also carried a Marriott Rewards Visa card for a few years, which adds 5x points for every dollar spent at the hotel.

Draft saved Draft deleted