1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beating the system - travel question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PaulS, Sep 13, 2009.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Hotwire is the fucking bomb.

2. seravaf

seravaf New Member

Actually, you can get Marriott points and nights stayed when you book with Priceline or Hotwire.

If you can't plug it in when you make the reservation, tell the person at the front desk when you check in -- and give them your rewards number.

If you still don't get the credit, save the receipt (make sure it has your name on it before you leave), and fax it to Marriott HQ and they will credit your account with the points. It just takes a few extra days that way.

Plus, this was a total thread jacking.

The only way you can get around the cheaper flight leg is by having your real final destination be the stopover before the last leg.

For instance, I live in Philly, but sometimes it is much cheaper to book through New York (specifically Laguardia).

So, I just take the train to New York and then take a cab to the airport to start the flight.

Outbound: New York -> stop in Philly -> arrive at game

Inbound: New York -> stop in Philly, get off and take the train home -> skip last flight back to New York.

That's the only way you can do it. It sucks to go to New York, but the company doesn't mind paying the cab and train fare when you are saving them a few hundred bucks. Especially if it is last minute.

Thoughts?

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

If you do it enough, they'll catch you.

They can deny you the miles for the trip & if they really want to, they can throw you out of their frequent flyer program and confiscate all of your miles.

I'm no saying they'll do it after one trip, but these kind of things really piss the airlines off. It violates their terms and their computers red flag these kind of things.

The folks at flyertalk.com have threads on every possible situation. Check it out.

4. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I was just about to post what YF did. You're lucky you haven't been caught yet. I also want to give another plug to flyertalk.com. I've learned so much from the site and the advice I've gotten there has saved me lots of money.

5. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Another FT regular here, and I've referenced them on this board multiple times.

If you ever have a travel question, look there.

6. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Keep doing it and you will get caught. We caught someone just the other day.

I'll be on the look out for you!

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

One trick if you're booking off the Marriott site is to type VIP in when they ask for any promo code.

When I was in the PFWA, we got a Marriott card that told us to do that and I've done it many times since and have never once been asked for a card. I recently stayed at a Marriott in downtown of a major city for $70. I think the regular price was $180.

8. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

I've never had a good experience with Enterprise. They advertise low rates but then nickel and dime you to death with assorted service charges and cleaning/damage fees. Find a car wash near your rental location and wash and vacuum the vehicle thoroughly. When you pick up the vehicle do a thorough damage check. Sides of the rear bumper and just below the trunk opening are usually scratched. Same for the side mirrors. Stand at either the front or rear corners of the vehicle and look down the side. You'll notice more of the dings in the doors this way. Make sure ALL minor things you find are noted on the damage check. Ask them what the total cost of the rental will be and get it in writing. I learned these things the hard way.

I started using Avis several years ago. Zero problems. I had something come up a couple of years ago where Enterprise was my only rental option. I decided to give them another chance hoping they had changed their ways. Nope!

9. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I've been carded twice in the past five years. Once was at the Boston Long Wharf, and once was somewhere near Sea-Tac, I think. Considering all the Marriott reservations I've made over that time, that comes out to probably less than 1 percent.

However, I am in the PBWA VIP program, so when asked, I had a card to show. I don't know what would have happened if I hadn't.

10. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I typically use Hertz. Great service, but my goodness do you pay for it.

11. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

FYI: The Hotwire rental car insurance is not valid for rentals in Texas.

12. John

John Well-Known Member

That VIP code and the Hertz discount codes are pretty much the only things I've ever gotten out of being in the FWA or the USBWA.

Draft saved Draft deleted