1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beaten by a girl - in the New York Times

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Write-brained, Feb 17, 2007.

1. I'd do the same thing in basketball ... especially if she's got game.

2. Thanks for the clarification.

3. I've been thinking about this a little more. If the girl were 10-0 or 8-2, something like that, I'm sure I wouldn't have had a problem going 100 percent ... because that meant she had a better record than me ... but all of the girls I ever saw were always looking for their first win.

4. Don't worry 21, I'd check you hard.

5. 21 is SC? Who knew?

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I'm not 21 . . .

Write-brained = Sandy?

7. It's the same thing. Part of wrestling is to cause pain. That was my attitude. Pain makes your opponent do what you want him or her to do. You guys want to make it look like I'm not competitive but I am. I'm also compassionate. I don't think girls are a weaker sex ... I've met some female rugby players who could knock my head off given the chance ... and there are a million women who are better athletes than I was ... but yes, wrestling equals pain.

Sorry for the repeated posts ... I had to go to the store and I totally let this thread get away from me ..

8. Whoops.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

It was so ridiculous, I didn't even feel like addressing it.

10. At the risk of outing myself, maybe this will help: I grew up in a family full of women. Single mom. Little sisters. Older sisters. I spent a lot of time protecting all of them against assholes... even fought a couple of guys who deserved it. I don't believe in hurting women. Even ones who can stick up for themselves. Like I said, it's how I was brought up, as were a lot of guys. Would I have wrestled a girl? Sure. Would have I been uncomfortable? Yes. Does that make me a sexist?

Whatever.

11. Oh, come on. I've been in a ton of sports departments. You know what I'm talking about. "Most" is a fair guesstimate.

Draft saved Draft deleted