1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beaten by a girl - in the New York Times

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Write-brained, Feb 17, 2007.

1. http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/17/nyregion/17wrestle.html?_r=1&th&emc=th&oref=slogin

Kinda feel sorry for the boy in the lead. Not only did he lose (at least that's how it looks) to a girl wrestler but now it's all over the New York Times.

I think girls should wrestle but it's tough for their male opponents. I never had to wrestle a girl but if I did I imagine I would have lost just cuz I had been conditioned all of my life not to hurt girls.

Anyone here cover girl wrestlers?

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

This isn't near as uncommon as you might think. In Kansas not too long ago, one girl made state all four years. Won some matches when she got there, too. She definitely had the toughness to wrestle.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I have absolutely no tolerance whatsoever for this particular whine.

If it crushes your macho-man studly-stud ego to lose to a girl, then don't lose to a girl.

End. Of. Story.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Ditto. Can't really add to that. :D

5. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

I also don't see why girls bother compete with boys. There are girls sports. There are boys sports. This is not a black/white thing.

What happened when a boy went and played field hockey in Boston? He kicked ass and of course the parents wanted him out. So is anyone raising a stink about a girl wanting to be a wrestler? Same deal with girls playing football. What going to happen when guys treat her ... like a guy? Michelle Wie wanting to play with the men is just stupid. Has she even dominated at the women's level?

What's next - is a female going to try out for the NBA? Are we going to see a woman on an MLB team?

I'm no sexist, but it boggles the mind as to why/how this is happening. There are many of outstanding female athletes. Mia Hamm is one of the greatest female soccer players ... of all-time. You never saw her trying to play with the US Men's National team, did you? I just don't see why females have such a hard-on to play with the guys.

Can anyone explain this?

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

A_F, it's happening in part because -- if you would have read the story -- girls wrestling teams are few and far between. Not many out there, so they have to compete with the boys. It's not like soccer and other sports where they have enough girls to field varsity and JV teams with no problems.

And most everyone is fine with that. The girls are treated the same as the guys the moment she beats them.

7. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

Solution: School doesn't have a wrestling team? Join a club wrestling team.

Fighting a girl is a no-win situation.
    You win, and it means nothing.
    You lose, and you lose your balls, too.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

A_F: In addition to Oz's point (that there aren't girls teams in many areas), it's a similar argument to if white players should be able to compete in the Negro Leagues. The majority doesn't get to be the minority on demand.

The thing is, even when girls have their own teams/leagues ... it's NOT "separate but equal" in many cases. Girls often don't get the same facilities, the same support (training, equipment, coaching, etc.), as boys do.

So it's not as simple as "girls have a hard-on to play with the boys" or "girls have girls sports, boys have boys sports." That's denying the reality that exists for many girls who wish to play sports.

9. You didn't wrestle in high school did you, Star? (I guess I shouldn't be surprised ... why is it that most sports writers didn't play sports?)

Anyway, Star, it's not that simple. Wrestling isn't just about doing some moves and putting someone on their back, its about inflicting pain and wearing your opponent down ... have you ever had a chin grinding in your shoulder or felt like your kneecap was going to pop out if you didn't stop resisting ...

I wasn't the best wrestler, far from it, but you would really need to have a proper mindset to take on a girl ...

It would probably help a whole lot to have a girl on your own team so you can practice with them .. and then, like the guy in the story said, it will be just like wrestling anyone else ...

10. And what is that experience, Buck, sitting in the bleachers scribbling in your notebook?

11. I'm just saying that I would have a problem with it. I wouldn't forfeit my match but I doubt I could go 100-percent mentally ... not to take away from the girls, but I'd estimate that most opponents of girls are probably only going at 70, 80-percent speed (practice speed) ...

12. you're the one who said you had some sort of experience that made you understand this topic much more than myself ... if you're not going to explain what it is why bring it up?

Draft saved Draft deleted