1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beat writers: best coach you've ever worked with/interviewed?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Norman Stansfield, Jan 26, 2007.

1. Hmmmmmm

I'll second Grobe.

Seth Greenberg can be good.

Tommy West gets an honorable mention only because when he was at Clemson and I was a meager plebe at my college's paper--I'm talking number of articles done at this point in the single digits--he called my dorm room and left a message for a callback. I was impressed he took the time.

Pete Gillen's always good for a joke or five.

I've heard good things about Bruce Pearl, and horrible, horrible things about Al Groh.

2. slipshod

slipshod Member

Mike D'Antoni. Hell, he's one of the best people I've known, coach or no coach.

3. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Pearl's pretty damn good, I have to say. But the used-car salesman comes on strong at times.

4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

For me, this one's easy. Jim Grobe is one of the finest people I have met in 18 years in this racket. Humble, honest, patient and considerate, he's absolutely genuine.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Doc Rivers needs to be on this list...

6. dragonfly

dragonfly Member

Mack Brown. Learns your name within five minutes and never forgets it.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

The gold standard.
    During his early years at St. Joe's, Arizona cancelled a trip because of bad weather. It was rainy. Martelli absolutely went off on Olson during a conference call - funny lines about jets being able to handle rain and the like.
    Martelli should teach a class.

Also on board with those who talk about Grobe and Seth Greenberg, who now and then calls reporters just because. Never covered him day to day but I've always enjoyed my dealings with Tommy Bowden.
    Also never covered day to day but was great with me when I did deal with him: Denny Crum.

8. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

In terms of being much more honest than a coach really should be: Mike Davis. He is a genuinely nice man who probably needs to learn how to duck some questions.

9. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

Dale Brown when he was coaching at LSU was always a favorite of mine, if he wasn't in Nepal or Burma (also known as Myanmar) or hanging out in L.A. with Mamie van Doren.

In my limited dealings with him, Sonny Smith was priceless once you got past his hick schtick.

10. Tom Izzo. Goes above and beyond for all media, both local reporters and media from other teams. Never puts national reporters over the local guys.

11. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

Brian Kilrea is the only junior hockey coach in the Hall of Fame for good reason. His image as a father figure to his players is way of the mark--it's a great story that doesn't quite hold up. But his door's always open, the beer is always cold and a good dry cleaner can get the smell of his cigars out of your clothes.

I think Ken Hitchcock is pretty damn good as well.

And, strangely, Pat Burns has always been good to me (except when he got me shit-faced in a bar in the Eastern Townships that was wall-to-wall with cops and left me to sleep in my car ... but I'm over that).

YHS, etc

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I know he's been reamed on these boards for being an asshole - probably with good reason - but Jim Calhoun has always been GREAT when I've been around him. He always spends time after the postgame goatfuck outside the locker room.
    I'll never forget the time some whack kept putting a phone to Calhoun's ear and saying "Go on with ESPN (or Fox or somebody) radio," and Calhoun saying, firmly, not now. "I'm visiting with these guys now," he said.
    Many points in my book for that.

Years ago, I sat through a Calhoun PC and then waited through his later deal because I needed one little itty bitty thing of my own. He had every right to say hey fuck off, I just spent 30 minutes answering questions. I explained why I needed one more, he said sure and gave me a great answer.

Draft saved Draft deleted