1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beat writers: best coach you've ever worked with/interviewed?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Norman Stansfield, Jan 26, 2007.

1. standman

standman Member

Former Texas Tech Spike Dykes would take out of town writers to dinner or lunch and drive you in his car if you didn't have a rental. Sometimes he didn't get along with the local beat guys, but that happens more often than not. Familiarity breeds....

2. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Tom Davis, formerly at Iowa, now at Drake.

Always gracious, takes the time to talk.

3. greenie

greenie Member

Hayden Fry.

Hard to get to these days, but one hell of a story teller.

4. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

One of the all-time great lines. That NFL Films piece about the Bucs back then was gold.

5. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Dick Bennett was outstanding the two times I dealt with him. Current Princeton boss Joe Scott is good, too. Joe Glenn at Wyoming is colorful.

6. Phil Martelli at St. Joe's

was on campus doing a story on a kid and SID said Phil would give me five minutes in his office

an hour later, I was on my way

7. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

He was talkative. Nice enough. But, when you looked closely, didn't you see a little bullshit coming out of his mouth? I always got a "used-car salesman" sense with him.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Bill Raftery, as one might expect, was an absolute treasure in his coaching days at Seton Hall.
    My all-time favorite, however, is Pete Carrill ... funny, self-effacing, great story-teller.
    I covered Petey's worst season at Princeton in like '83 or '84 (13-13, I think) and the worse they played and funnier he became.

9. awriter

awriter Active Member

A few others worth mentioning:
    Don Haskins.
    Rick Majerus (Yes, I know, he was a prick to the local media, but he was great the few times I dealt with him).
    Bob Toledo
    Scott Skiles
    Mike Holmgren

10. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

spnited, not surprisingly Raftery remains a class act. I bump into him quite often and he always has a minute.

I'd be interested to hear something about Majerus' prickishness to the locals when he was at Utah. Sounds like another classic case of two-facedness.

11. grrlhack

grrlhack Member

I'll second Phil Martelli. And I'll agree with Wingman....Spurrier in limited doses is outrageously funny. Once you realize that every other word out of his mouth is BS, Tuberville is fun to interview. John Chaney was an interesting interview.

12. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Doc Rivers has lost 10 games in a row, and no one in the Boston press is calling for the ax -- which is surely due in large part to the fact that he's so good with the media.

Draft saved Draft deleted