1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beat Writer For Notre Dame Football And Basketball — South Bend, Ind.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Stu Coman, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Stu Coman

Stu Coman New Member

Sportswriter to cover football, basketball and basketball recruiting, to assist with football recruiting coverage and to handle other writing duties for Blue & Gold Illustrated, Blue & Gold Report and blueandgold.com, a publication, electronic newsletter and Web site covering sports at the University of Notre Dame. Duties include breaking news, writing articles and columns, covering all football games and press conferences, covering basketball games, becoming an expert on Notre Dame basketball recruiting, compiling notes, interacting on message boards, helping with page proofs for publications, and appearing on radio shows and podcasts.

Requirements include previous newspaper or web site writing experience, attention to detail, strong work ethic and ability to work under deadlines. Knowledge of and passion for Notre Dame sports is a plus. Competitive salary plus excellent benefit package, which includes: medical, life, dental and short- and long-term disability insurance; profit sharing; and retirement plan. Office is located in South Bend less than a mile from campus.

Send clips and resume to blueandgoldillustrated@gmail.com.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
  2. djdennisOU

djdennisOU Member

Well... I know what I am applying for tonight!

3. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

Is it really necessary for everyone to announce their intent to apply for these jobs? Seen this on a few postings lately.

4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Meh. The previous time I saw that, the poster came off as groveling. But who cares. The hiring managers can determine their qualifications.

djdennisOU likes this.
  5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Good luck djdennis and anyone else who applies. Surely a lot of work, but should be a really great gig.

djdennisOU likes this.
  6. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Sounds like a great job if you're 22 and willing to be driven into the ground for peanuts. ... No thanks.

Waldo9939 and Tarheel316 like this.
  7. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

Millennials, man. Everything's a selfie. But we must take efforts to realize this is not a character flaw, just the behavior of a generation.

8. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Hey, you get to cover Notre Dame. Pay, hours, and working conditions don't matter.

[​IMG]

Doc Holliday, Mister413 and HanSenSE like this.
  9. CaymanGuy

CaymanGuy Member

Can't it be both?

10. djdennisOU

djdennisOU Member

I'm sorry I still have some sense of excitement about my chosen career. I don't even know why I still post anything here.

11. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Sometimes I wonder why I do, as well.

djdennisOU likes this.
  12. PTOWN

PTOWN Member

I've had jobs in newspapers, magazines, political campaigns and at big corporations, So I feel like I have worked with a wide variety of people and seen some doozies up and quit jobs/be worthless. But good God I wouldn't hire a 20-somehting to take my trash to the curb.

Draft saved Draft deleted