1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beat writer, Boise State University

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by gravehunter, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Well, Twin Falls is certainly comparable. Again, Nampa just happens to be 25 miles from Boise, instead of 125 or whatever. So the BSU stuff just sort of happened to fall in their lap.

Not sure what the size of their staff is now Back when I visited with them it was too large and I saw that as "this shop is a layoff waiting to happen", which was another reason for caution.

2. It's Idaho. If you're a single guy living in the Gem State making $25,000, you are basically printing money.

3. Way to vouch for mediocrity.

4. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Seems kinda low for a Division I beat, especially Boise State. Got to be a catch to this. Doubt this is daily beat work. Maybe part-time beat and part time desk, etc.

5. silvercharm

silvercharm Member

I don't care where you live, if you're making $25K a year, you're just getting by. Even in the lowest cost of living areas, it's hard to get a decent apartment for less than $400-500 a month. Throw in utilities, grub, car payment and insurance, and you've eaten up well over half your gross monthly pay.

6. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

This has been filled.
    BJ Rains, who covered the St. Louis Cardinals for Fox Sports Midwest, has accepted the job and will start in a couple of weeks.

7. Doc Holliday

That doesn't say much for what Fox Sports Midwest pays. :-[

8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Doc, he could have been an intern or a production assistant of some sorts...

9. Doc Holliday

An intern or a production assistant lands a Divsion I football beat like Boise State? Seriously? Then that doesn't speak well for the paper.

Either way, it doesn't speak well of somebody.

10. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

An intern or production assistant covering the most important beat in town? No, Rains wasn't one of those.

11. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

How old is he? More than just one person covers the Cards for FSD. And I agree on one thing: If his responsibilities were pretty big, then Fox Sports Midwest needs to pay its employees a little better than peanut wage. ;)

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Again.... this is the Nampa paper, not the Idaho Statesman.

Draft saved Draft deleted