1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beat this football special section cover(s)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MileHigh, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

"Up for Re-election" re: Tebow and the Heisman ...

Great stuff.

2. Those are some sweet inside pages. I love the dominant art on each page and just the entire way the information is presented. Makes me wish I worked at a really big paper with that kind of vision. My editor doesn't like to use big photos because he thinks it "cheats the reader." I'm serious. He knows on some level that it's not exactly rational, but he can't help it.

3. Simon_Cowbell

It's a big-impact, highly memorable get.

Absolutely worth the money and effort, layoffs or not.

And I think Lou Diamond Phillippes is a shifty snake in the grass, so I'm not predisposed to be praising anything with his fingerprints on it.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

The Bowden picture (that just jumped at me), Archie Griffin and the Dewey/Truman takes are very good.

I love the Obama and McCain poses on the inside. Makes me think of JFK/Nixon.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Again. What does it have to do with football?

6. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

Shottie, I agree with your notion. I've said I'd like a bit more of a football look to the covers. Frankly, the person who said they'll get thrown out with the Best Buy ads might be right on some level. I wouldn't glance at that cover and instantly think football tab. But I certainly would give it a second look. It's eye-popping.

When it comes to the whole theme, though, it's really about the parallels one can draw. It's the political season. It's football season. There'll be one winner for both. Both are thought of as down-and-dirty grudge matches. There are staunch supporters on both sides who won't make a switch for anything. Football is a national treasure, and these guys are our national leaders. I could go on, but you get the idea.

I think it's a great effort. I just wish a little more work had gone into the cover. But I'm sure there were limitations in terms of what the candidates were willing to do.

7. Simon_Cowbell

It's entertainment.

Don't be a faux rube.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Orlando usually has the best football tab in the country.

9. Simon_Cowbell

They have a big-time budget with, relatively, little local to cover full-bore.

So, they pound this fucker.

And the hit home runs, over and over again.

10. Sly

Sly Active Member

I can't believe people are actually bitching and moaning about this. All day, every day, the talk around here is about making your paper stand out and giving the readers something they can't get elsewhere. Orlando actually DOES this by getting the two biggest newsmakers not named Michael Phelps to draw eyes toward their football tab and people still have a problem with it. Incredible.

11. Simon_Cowbell

Incredible, indeed.

Of course spnited has fomented the troops on this one. Bigggggg surprise.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

One year, Orlando got Rodney Dangerfield to pose for one of its sections.

It was weeks before he died and was believed to be the last picture he took.

Draft saved Draft deleted