1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beat this football special section cover(s)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MileHigh, Aug 21, 2008.

1. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Didn't ESPN the Magazine do a Presidential candidate theme for their 2004 Heisman candidates in the college football preview?

This is a nice get, but it's something that comes around every election year as far as football.

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Themes are a tool for design types to wrest some control over what they do.

3. jps

jps Active Member

I don't love the theme itself. just thought they pulled it off well and it didn't really get in the way as much as it could have. much better than many theme tabs, anyway.

personally, I tend to like a nice cover and then solid stuff inside. if you can have some sort of simple, non-intrusive design elements that carry through, cool. but I don't like the constant theme stories typically.

4. Page 3 and on looked decent. I thought the cover and the studio shots of McCain and Obama posing for pictures with the Sentinel were just dumb and self-indulgent.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

And who is this serving...the readers or the egos of the designers and editors who came up with the idea?
    Readers don't give a fuck about themes and carrying some designer's beautiful concept through the section.

6. Hell, I think Florida readers would have been more impressed had they got Barbra Streisand to pose for the cover - not two guys running for political office.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Here's my concern: Why did they send a Sentinel photographer to Arlington, Va., for one of those photo shoots a month after they had 100 layoffs?

You know, I'm all for creativity, I'm all for innovative ideas. I think newspapers need to work hard to get people talking (and I will admit this idea does that, to an extent.) But if money is so tight that people are getting FIRED ... why are they spending wasteful money on self-indulgent ideas that don't have a damn thing to do with their coverage?

That's an insult to everyone who got laid off last month. So, in light of that, I think this is a terrible idea.

QUIT WASTING MONEY! Why do the so-called best and brightest editors in the country not understand that concept? God, what a suicidal industry we're in.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Because, Buck, the so-called best and brightest are concerned only with feeding their egos and proving how best and bright they really are so all their fellow best and brights can be impressed by the greatness and creativity.
    And the star-fuckers on sj will rave about them as well.

9. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

I'm glad to see that they carried the theme throughout the section. I still don't like the cover much, but they did a good job inside.

10. I Digress

I Digress Guest

I like the inside pages. The cover. I don't get it. Seriously, you're pulling all the 'junk' out of the inside of the paper.. yes, I know, inserts, but does the Florida cracker on the couch know that? ... and you see something with Obama or McCain... chances are, you put it in the pile of crap you're not looking at because you don't care that Kohl's/Penneys/Sears/ is having another sale....D'oh.. Hopefully, you realize your mistake before the pile goes to the recycle bin.

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Obviously, this was an easier get with Florida such a battleground state.

But, yes, they have fully taken advantage of not having to invest resources in covering as many entities as most major sports sections.

Congrats to Lynn and the crew.

12. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

The interior is possibly better than the cover.

Tremendous effort.

Draft saved Draft deleted