1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beat this football special section cover(s)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MileHigh, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

There are two THREE levels of impossibility with this post.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Hey, that's how they held it back in the 1930s when they ran the single wing!

3. Jersey_Guy

Jersey_Guy Active Member

Man, Bowden looks old in his picture.

So old I feel bad for him.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Obama knows how to hold a football.

That's reason #1,429 why I will vote for him.

God, does McCain look like a twit. And he recited football players while being tortured? Come on.

5. jps

jps Active Member

you'd think the photog might have said something ... just so their portraits mirrored each other, ya know?
    that certainly takes nothing away from it, and they pulled it off once again. just sayin.

6. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

So, I guess I'll be "that guy" ...

WTF do Obama and McCain have to do with football season? I mean, it's a wild idea and it's certainly going over big with people in the industry. But is this really something that Joe Reader is going to be impressed by? Or is he going to bust out a "I can't get away from these fuckers. Now they're in my football edition."

I really don't mean this to sound like sour grapes. But shouldn't your football tab/special section touch on ... you know ... football? Especially in the South.

7. In a way, I'm with you. I think it's them in a way saying "we got these guys and you didn't" which is cool. But I doubt the readers really give a shit, as they're furiously searching for how many TDs Tebow will throw for this year, be it 300 or 400.

That being said, the idea is great. Does this mean Drew Weatherford and Tebow are going to be on the cover of the political tab the week before the election?

8. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Damnit, mustard, I wanted to be "that guy." I think it's a dumb idea, plain and simple. Cool, you got presidential candidates to hold a red, white and blue football to trumpet your football tab. You're obviously big shots, but who cares?

Getting those two is not trumpeting your tab...it's trumpeting yourself. I, for one, would much rather see, oh, I don't know, people who have something to do with the state's respective football organizations. I'll give the Sentinel credit for trying something new and different, but this missed the mark.

Get them hiking the ball to each other or form tackling on the beach, then we'll talk.

9. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

I think it's a step up from having Rodney Dangerfield on the cover a few years back.

10. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

There are only so many times and so many ways to put football players on a cover. I love the originality. It's football, not life and death... it's OK to take a chance.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I don't. THAT was a special section. Rodney . . . in a 1930s-type uniform . . . playing to a theme of sports cliches ("no respect").

Perfect.

12. -Scoop-

-Scoop- Member

It's cool. It's different. But it has nothing to do with anything football.

Draft saved Draft deleted