1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beasley subjected to monkey chant in Europe

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Aug 8, 2007.

1. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Life will be much better for DMB if he can start finishing better than one out of every three good chances.

2. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Yeah, then they'll just call him a monkey under their breath.

3. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

The game was played in Montenegro. This isn't "all of Europe." There is no "backlash" against supposedly forced tolerance.

As Piotr points out, this was degenerates looking for a way to get into an opponents head. It is very possible that the fans performing the racist chants aren't racist at all. They just see this as a tool. I'm not a fan of it and neither is UEFA, which is why they will probably be fined and punished.

The Daily Record, a paper I am not too much of a fan of, has a solid article on this.

I listened to this particular game over the web as I couldn't take off to watch it and had quite few friends that did watch it. Beasley's play was excellent. Thus, the fans went after him.

4. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Do you think the fans of the team Beasley plays on (a team that I support) were performing the monkey chants? If that is the case you are wildly misinformed.

5. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

I was being sarcastic (a little), but point taken. At the same time, the idea that he just needs to play better to avoid racist taunts is pretty ridiculous.

RealSports did a pretty stellar feature on racism in European soccer a few years back. So it's not like this is breaking any ground. Guess it's getting better, since nobody was fucking throwing bananas at him.

6. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Mr. French weeps bitter tears in the face of EU intolerance. Uncle Bill is nonplussed. Buffy, Jody and Cissy were unavailable for comment.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Mmac

Mmac Guest

Sadly, this is nothing new, as this 06 OTL piece shows:

8. MN Matt

MN Matt Member

And Rangers fans are not exactly innocent in these types of matters either.

9. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Not for a few years now.

10. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Racist chanting has been going on for as long as black or asian players have been in the game.

The problem has been, for the most part, eradicated, especially in England where the problems were widespread. Nowadays, with some exceptions, most of this comes from Eastern Europe. A good example is the recent UEFA under-21 championships, where English players were alleged to have been subjected to racial taunting not only from the crowd but also from their Serbian opponents.

FIFA has done a lot to try and stamp out the problem, with players like Thierry Henry being active in trying to help eradicate the problem. The sad thing is there will probably always be a vocal minority that they will always have trouble getting through to.

Threats of banishment from competitions have been mentioned in the past, and teams have played games behind closed doors in the past, but there is still a minority out there that finds this acceptable behaviour, especially if they're protected by being in a vocal mob.

11. alanTdot

alanTdot Member

Could MLS tap into this behavior and draw world class African players and players of color to North America, much like the CFL brought Black QB's to Canada in the 60's and 70's?

12. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I think that would be unlikely, Alan, simply because a lot of the higher profile players appear to want to be part of the solution. From all the reports I've read on the subject, players like Henry, Ronaldinho, Eto'o et al. want to eradicate the problem, not run from it.

Draft saved Draft deleted