1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beasley subjected to monkey chant in Europe

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/soccer/08/07/beasley.taunts.ap/index.html?cnn=yes

Europe is supposed to be more liberal than this country and yet the kind of open racism that has pretty much disappeared from public events in this country is quite common over there.
    Do a lot of people feel tolerance and diversity are being shoved down their throats and this is some sort of backlash against it?

2. Funny, I thought only Americans were racist bigots.

3. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Good lord. Seek help, wingnut.

4. That was sarcasm, foil-hat wearer.

I'm not sure this is a reaction to political correctness. This might be something that's always been there to begin with but has been lying just under the surface.

Remember, the world's most glaring example of racism and bigotry took place on the European continent, oh, about 60-70 years ago.

5. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

That was not lost on me. I'll give you a few minutes to catch up.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

When I saw the thread title in the box on the front page, I wondered what had happened to ex-NFLer and ex-Connecticut sportscaster Beasley Reece.

7. Well, there's a first time for everything.

8. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Don't hit your head when you crawl out from under the rock in 5,000-10,000 years.

9. Looks like the rock is what's occupying the space between your earlobes.

10. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Europe's a whole lot of real estate to be painting with one brush stroke, isn't it? Not every place is as open-minded and tolerant as, say, Amsterdam.

There are very conservative areas around the continent, especially in Eastern Europe, which is where the majority of these stories originate. These are also many of the same areas where there is a strong anti-homosexuality movement. Old feelings die hard.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,,2092840,00.html

In any case, it is what these incidents usually are ... a small band of idiots ruining what should've been a fun time for all involved -- in this case, the first Champions League game ever for a Montenegrin club.

11. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

You know what, screw you both.

Want to impress the girls in the schoolyard with your bullshit, take it somewhere else, please. God forbid someone starts a thread asking a serious question without wanting a couple of a-holes to show up playing "I know you are, but what am I?!?!?!?!" No, better to answer a question - about people's inability to get along! - with these antics.

Ahem.

As for the thread: This is no backlash against tolerance and diversity. Don't give those dunces that excuse. They were looking to taunt an opponent, and used the most base methods to do so. Good for Beasley that he scored to beat the team those jerks rooted for.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing: Why is Beasley Reece in Europe?

Draft saved Draft deleted