1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bears vs. Colts: Super Bowl XLI running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chi City 81, Jan 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

I'll admit that I have seen the Colts a lot and the rest of the NFL not as much, but one thing about Clark ...

When he was hurt, the Colts' offense sputtered a bit, with a receiving corps with a big case of the dropsies. And, of course, we all know about how bad the defense was.

When he has been in the lineup, he has made a myriad of big third-down catches. I haven't looked up the numbers, but I'd bet that most of his catches have come on third down since his return from injury in the late stages of the year. And he catches everything that's thrown to him. He's not Gates, Winslow, Crumpler or Gonzalez. He's a "tweener" TE that is an average blocker, but a very good receiver if you put him in the slot one-on-one with an LB. But he fits the Colts' offensive scheme very well (just like Edgerrin James did before he got his huge payday).

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I can see the argument for Addai as a top 10 running back. I can't say I agree, but I can see it.

But to toss Tiki Barber because he has retired when the season isn't over yet is a bullshit argument.

And Dallas Clark is not a top five NFL tight end, much less top three. Heap is better. Winslow is better. Gonzalez is still better, no matter how old he is. Put any of them in the Colts' offense with Manning throwing to them and they put up better numbers than Clark.

I agree that the Colts have the best set of offensive skill players in the NFL, but the arguments you are using to back it up are crap, Columbo.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Addai has never carried the ball 300-plus times in a season; James has six seasons with 310 or more attempts.

Addai has never run for 1,500 yards in a season; James has four such seasons.

Yeah, it's not a fair comparison because Addai's only been around one season. But James' numbers as a rookie (369-1,553-13 and 62 catches-586-4) look far better than Addai's (226-1,081-7 and 40-325-1).

I'm guessing Addai wouldn't come close to running for 1,159 yards behind the Cardinals' line, like James did, since he didn't do it with the Colts.

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Frank Gore is the best running back in the NFL and 2nd place isn't even close. Debate all you want, I'll take Gore and win a super bowl 1 vs. 11. [/pube]

5. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Edge as a rookie was much better than Addai as a rookie.

That's not up for debate.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Let's see what happens when Addai has to carry it 300-plus times in the season. The more carries you get, the more likely your average goes down the more likely you are to get hurt.

That's why I'm not willing to say Addai is the better back. He has to prove he can be a durable workhorse, like James.

7. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I said that the Bears are playing the best skill set in the NFL, by far, in a week.

What Addai is now is what counts.

The fact that you just can't agree with the statement and move on is hilarious, apparently weighing QB as having the same value as tight end in the discussion.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I said from the start said the Colts are the best in the league, but not "by far" because the Chargers do the have the best players in the NFL at three different positions, which ought to be taken into account. Not just a tight end, like you're saying, but hands down the best player in the NFL this season behind the best fullback in the game.

p.s. Addai's been protected, so I'm convinced he's better than James. What he is now is a good enough back to help the Colts win games.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

When Addai fumbles at the goal line against the Patriots, the Colts recover the ball.

When James fumbles at the goal line against the Patriots, the Patriots recover the ball.

Edge to Addai (no pun intended).

10. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Details, details.

Colts' radio call on the play was amusing.

"Rhodes tries to get in . . . aw, he fumbled the fricking ball . . . it's a touchdown!"

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Doesn't change the fact that James ran for more yards behind an atrocious Cardinals line than Addai did behind the Colts' line, surrounded by the best weapons in the game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.