1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bears v. Cutler upgraded to Defcon 4

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I always liked dealing with Grossman, but I can see how some did not. I agree about both Grieses being difficult.

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I stand corrected: Bob Griese, also a pissy, confounding, son-of-a-bitch, although he was one two Super Bowl winning teams, so he gets more of a pass, no pun intended.

Actually, Cutler could be pissy if he himself didn't go so into the tank once things go wrong. You can yell at people if you're busting your ass, and they aren't. But the problem with Cutler is that so often, once things go wrong, they go really, really, really wrong in a hurry.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

It's anecdotal, but I'll never forget seeing Jeff George in a Broad Ripple bar 'round about '92 or '93.

Leaning on the wall. By himself. No one went near him.

You're talking about the starting QB for the city's NFL team. But I think that was the year he held out and the disgust that always near the surface was at a full boil.

Hard to imagine Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck, hell, Jim Harbaugh, being ignored at a local watering hole.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

When things are going well, Cutler is easily a top 10 QB. The issue with him is that when things aren't going well, how quickly things go from bad to really bad.

I thought he did really well in the opener, even after he was sacked on the first play of the game. But, that was against the Colts. When the game against the Packers started in almost identical fashion, it just became a sign of things to come.

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Plus, George had probably slept with and/or pissed off at least half the bar while he and they were in high school.

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

As I said during Thursday's game, he handles pressure like a water balloon in a vice. The line is the same way. If they get off to a good start, they're usually fine. But if things go wrong early, then they fall apart — and continue falling apart — for the duration of the game.

7. Jason Whitlock begs to differ.

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Like I said, nobody. :)

9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I actually wrote this in a column three years ago. I feel I have unfairly been denied credit for helping the Cutler-is-George theory spread its wings and fly.

1. Jay Cutler might be the secret spawn of former Colts quarterback Jeff George. I'm not even sure this is a joke. Wikipedia tells me George is age 42 and Cutler is 26, so it actually makes sense if you're willing to gloss over some stuff like, oh, DNA testing. They're both from Indiana, and both strong-armed, knuckle-headed, franchise-killing quarterbacks. Bear with me for a second, because I'm going to throw out a theory that's totally made up and 100 percent untrue. But what if, at age 16, a young, cocky, mustachioed Jeff George got a young lady preggers behind an Indiana Tasty Freeze. (If John Cougar Mellancamp songs have taught us anything, it's that short-wearing-hotties in Indiana will hook up with you when you're 16 behind the Tasty Freeze shade tree as long as you can do a credible James Dean impression and you have enough money to buy the chili dogs.) Then, because a love-child would be a disaster for an up-and-coming golden boy athlete like George, Cutler was hidden from George -- sort of like in the Star Wars trilogy, except in this case Darth Vader's kid also has a bad temper and can't read coverages -- so he could go on living his life, never quite figuring out how to make his million dollar arm overcome his 10-cent brain during his NFL career. And then, years later, the son also rises. That's the best way I can explain it.

10. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I think one big difference between Cutler and George is thier toughness on the field. George, at the end of hsi career, went down when he felt a breeze. Cutler hangs in the pocket and takes a hit, sometimes to a fault becasue he holds on to the ball to long.

11. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

Re: George, one of my buddies lives in Indy and his kids attend (or attended) the same school as George's son. A few years back, before one of those epic Colts-Patriots showdowns, the school had a "Colts Day" where students were allowed/encouraged to wear Colts gear to show their civic pride.

Hometown hero Jeff George sent his son to school in a Tom Brady jersey.

12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

And that's one of the things that makes Cutler frustrating. Because of his toughness, he overcame the NFC title game fallout quickly. But he seems to have wasted all that goodwill with his act Thursday night. Now he's going to have to shut up and take it — like he did last year — for an extended period of time to get back to not being seen as a big baby with a big arm.

Draft saved Draft deleted