1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bears v. Cutler upgraded to Defcon 4

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Sep 17, 2012.

1. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

True. But without Cutler they would have been what, 7-9? Cutler is something like 20-6 the last three years as a starter (he missed a game or two in 2010). Which is why he will not be traded.

2. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

Jeff George had cleaned up his act by the time he got to Minnesota. He was just too old by that point for it to matter.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Side note to the Cutler discussion, but am I the only one who thinks the Bears are going to be better with Michael Bush as the featured back? Forte is the better player and more dangerous weapon, but the whole team seems to have more bad-ass when Bush is in the game.

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

This is a defining moment for Cutler. He can ignore the firestorm and act like nothing's wrong, which will just end up as another step on the road to becoming the next Jeff George, or he can do what great quarterbacks do -- step and and take the hits -- literally and figuratively -- and show his teammates he's a leader by making plays when the pressure's on -- literally and figuratively. In professional sports, all that ultimately matters are results. If Cutler shows he can deliver them, his teammates will follow his lead.

I have absolutely no confidence of the latter scenario happening, though.

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

My fantasy team hopes you're right, LTL.

6. LongTimeListener

As does my own.

7. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I recall George coming to the NFL pre-hated. After the Colts traded to get the No. 1 pick to take George, one local TV station did a call-in poll to see if fans approved of the move. These things are hardly scientific, but it says something when a call-in poll in your own hometown nets a 90-10 margin of we-don't-want-you.

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Also, Cutler, like George, played high school ball in Indiana. So did Rick Mirer and Rex Grossman. I'm starting to think Bob Griese was the only Indiana-bred NFL quarterback not to be a pissy, confounding son-of-a-bitch.

9. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

George was dead in the water in his home city by the time of his '93 holdout.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1138380/index.htm

10. LongTimeListener

I don't know how much agreement you'd get from old-timers that Griese wasn't pissy and confounding. His son must have picked it up somewhere, anyway. And at least as a TV guy, Griese has not been a warm fuzzy to deal with.

11. Cutler has taken a page from Ike Clanton's school of thought.

"Sometimes you got give somebody a wrap on the beak to get a little respect."

[​IMG]

I think Cutler is a LOT like Kurt Busch.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

He's got a lot of talent, and I wouldn't have him as my QB for any amount of money.

Draft saved Draft deleted