1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bears' Tommie Harris: It's the media's fault!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by WaylonJennings, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

The only place you ever see media bashing is in the media.

2. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

LOL!! No. But I did play there during the probation years....

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I have a message for Tommie, if he's tired of seeing negativity in the media. He can implore his fellow NFL players:

Not to engage in the "sport" of dogfighting (Michael Vick)

Not to have an arsenal that could defend Lithuania in their home (Tank Johnson)

Not to take an entourage into a strip club, and have a member of said entourage shoot and permanently cripple an employee of that establishment. (Pacman)

Not to beat spouses, girlfriends, etc. (Too many to count)

Not to have multiple baby mommas. (ditto)

Not to go 120 mph in a sports car. (ditto)

There are numerous other examples. The funny thing about claiming the media is out to "get" athletes and celebrities is that none of the above was ferreted out by nosy reporters with an ax to grind. They dropped in everyone's lap one day by just reading a police blotter.

4. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

I got into a car accident last year. The cop says I caused it.
    I'm blaming all you guys. It's your fault.
    There ... I feel better now.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yellow journalism... hey Tommie! The media will take the blame if you can explain the origin of Yellow Journalism without looking it up.... til then, stfu

6. boots

boots New Member

He has a very valid point.

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Boots, I don't know your background in journalism, but one of the truths I discovered in my 15+ years in the business was that portions of the media trade in trash because that's what the public is demanding. If the media can't give the public what it wants, the public will go elsewhere to find it, not become more discriminating.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

So we should ignore the news and write only about happy things? You don't want to give the media the opportunity to take advantage of "bad sells?"
    Here's a clue: DON'T FUCK UP! DON'T THROW BASKETBALL GAMES! DON'T KILL DOGS! DON'T SHOOT BOUNCERS! DON'T HANG WITH PEOPLE WHO KILL DOGS OR SHOOT BOUNCERS!

It's not a valid point; it's a sycophantic point. Take away the opportunity and act responsibly and the media has no need to write these stories. Do you think they have to dig very deep to find the latest Bengal in bar fight, pitcher with a DWI or assclown throwing dollar bills in the air on a stage at a strip club?

9. boots

boots New Member

You've got 15. I'm almost doubled that.
    Yes we give the public what they want. Yes we are at their mercy to a certain extent. But in an effort to make money, this business has been slimey.

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Different views then, boots. You and I simply have different views, and since debate with you seems fruitless (as evidenced by countless other threads on this board) I'll let you be content with thinking your opinion is right. Good luck with that.

11. boots

boots New Member

I might be missing something here AA, but are you upset that prefer the use of "surly" over the use of "ass" when it comes to Barry?

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

No. You can have whatever opinion you want. I think he's an ass, as well as surly. You were the one quibbling over which term I was using. I saw no point in arguing it.

Draft saved Draft deleted