1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bears Inspire a City Still Reeling from Great Chicago Fire of 1871

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Brain of J, Jan 26, 2007.

1. Brain of J

Brain of J Member

http://www.theonion.com/content/news/bears_inspire_a_city_still_reeling

The Onion's been doing sports for a couple years, but this article is a good one!
    Because really, isn't it sort of silly assuming a football team can help people get over Hurricane Katrina? Sports Illustrated, along with a countless number of other media covered that angle, but a football team can't give people their homes back.
    My favorite quote was from Stephen Colbert, who said,
    "If the Saints win the Super Bowl it’s like Katrina never happened."

2. statrat

statrat Member

Can't help but love The Onion.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

That's funny as hell. :)

And to dismiss a football team's emotional lift on a city is too simplistic. ... Absolutely, sports can provide a lift. It's not the same as signing a check or building a house, or rebuilding the damn levees, but it's a morale-booster, absolutely.

4. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

That's good shit. I had a smile all the way through it.

5. Brain of J

Brain of J Member

Well of course a team can lift a city emotionally.
    As a life-long red sox fan, 2004 was like a dream...and I don't live close to Boston.

But writers and TV personalities who thought the saints would "do" something for the people of New Orleans by making the super bowl are mistaken.

A lot of the people affected by Katrina probably either A) can't afford to get into the games to see the saints or B) have been forced out of the city after their homes were wiped out.

Were the Saints a feel-good story this season? Absolutely. I'm just saying its a little silly to put all the emphasis on them. Even if they would've beaten the Bears, there's still bigger problems in New Orleans.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

God, I'd love to work for the Onion someday.

7. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Good stuff.

I have a nail polish color called "Mrs. O'Leary's BBQ". ;D

8. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

The cows there still won't look you in the eye.

9. That's an OPI shade isn't it? Love it!

10. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I do believe the opposite is true as well. A pattern of losing does nothing for a region's self-esteem. I wonder how things may be different in Northeast Ohio, if there wasn't a Drive, a Fumble or 1997 World Series collapse. Instead pessimism reigns supreme.

Draft saved Draft deleted