1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bears decide Chicago isn't far enough north

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Versatile, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Trestman has less to do... Of the teams making coaching changes, the Bears are head, shoulders and torso above the others... Trestman has his quarterback. If he signs/drafts some linemen, they should be in the playoffs next season.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

He'll adjust, just like a college coach would. I dare say it will be easier for a CFL coach to adjust to the NFL than vice-versa. Guy is a good offensive mind and developer of quarterbacks.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Wake him up and tell him we need a rant followed by flip comments toward every reply.

4. Mizzougrad96

Trestman isn't a WTF hire the way Chudzinski was.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

If you want to cash in YGBFKM's life insurance, tell him they re-hired Lovie Smith.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

We have been discussing Trestman's offensive acumen, which is of course the reason he got hired ...

But having watched him and dealt with him a bit, he never ever struck me as a head coach type. More of a booth guy and a thinker and tinkerer. Now, that was more than 10 years ago and he obviously has broadened to running the whole show since then. But not a personality I would think of as HC material.

7. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

That is the key portion of your post. I think he would not have been hired if he interviewed like a wonkish dickhead.

8. Mizzougrad96

I did a story on him from the Super Bowl when the Bucs beat the Raiders and I had the exact same reaction...

9. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Awesome.

I think YG's going to be really upset, so I can't wait to tell him.

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

At least this is an outside the box hire rather than the typical paint by numbers decision (who's the hottest OC/DC available?) Can he get Cutler to at least be kinda disciplined? Actually Trestman's fate really lies with one Gabe Carimi; 1st rder who is dreadful. The Bears need to somehow do a Niner draft, pick two studs (Iupati & Davis) early.

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

That's not a good sign.

Have there been successful "soft" coaches (the anti-Lombardi)?

12. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Tony Dungy and Dick Vermeil (redux edition) weren't exactly firebrands.

Draft saved Draft deleted