1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bears decide Chicago isn't far enough north

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Versatile, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Bears have hired Aaron Kromer from New Orleans' staff to be OC and O-line coach.

If they can keep Marinelli, I'll be happy.

2. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

YGBFKM is languishing from the flu. I can't decide if I should wake him up and deliver this news. Will it make him feel better?

3. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

I think he'll be happy it wasn't Singletary.

4. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Well, I texted him and received no response, so I guess he's dead.

5. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

RIP YGBFKM. You were adequate in The Client.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I am glad Jay Cutler is used to taking big hits and running for his life, because all of Trestman's OC stints have ended with the quarterback getting hurt and missing games. No interest in running the ball.

I mentioned it on the carousel thread, but search DeBartolo Trestman "He's Gone!" A heartwarming moment in the life of young Marc. Another heartwarming moment was Rich Gannon losing his shit on a Monday night game because Trestman wasn't getting the play in fast enough.

(To be fair, Gannon and Steve Young are talking up the move now. But I think guys always do that when it's for guys they used to work with and guys they like.)

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is the first time in more than 40 years the Bears have hired an "offense guy" as head coach.

Five of the last six (Lovie Smith, Dick Jauron, Dave Wannstedt, Neill Armstrong and Jack Pardee) were primarily defensive assistants before becoming head coach. Mike Ditka was special teams coordinator in Dallas.

The last offense guy they hired as head coach was Abe Gibron in 1972. Gibron had been offensive line coach under Jim Dooley in Chicago before being elevated to head coach.

So that's something, I guess.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Rich Gannon was All-Pro under Trestman. I think that says something.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

League MVP actually, and they made the Super Bowl. But a lot of that was a die that was cast in the Gruden years.

Raiders were very good in 2002 but did not have (or need) much of a running game. Then they panicked because they lost the Super Bowl, but instead of getting more balanced, they revamped the whole offense and decided they needed to get even less balanced. Gannon took a hellacious pounding for seven games and was done; he played three more in 2004 (under a different HC/OC) and his career was over.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I would have gone with Bevell or Arians, but I am a bit intrigued by the Trestman hire.

It shows that the Bears are thinking outside of the box. They needed someone for the offense to work with Cutler, and Trestman fits that.

It's a bold move.

11. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I hate the Bears but I like and respect the hire. Trestman has extensive experience and a decent track record. He already is the best clock manager in the NFC North.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Apples to oranges. The reason Hugh Campbell got hired was because Houston wanted to get Warren Moon, who Campbell had coached in Edmonton and the two were sort of a package deal.

Draft saved Draft deleted