1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bear attacks dog....man jumps on bear's back and stabs it to death

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Jul 25, 2006.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Guy and his dog are on a canoe trip in Northern Ontario when this happens

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20060725.BEAR25/TPStory/Front

As Mr. Tilley unsheathed his Buck hunting knife, the dog sprang in front of his master, turned sideways and stood its ground. The bear lunged forward, plunging its fangs into the pit bull's white hide.

Mr. Tilley said his fear turned to rage.

"All I could see was my beloved canine friend getting chomped on, and the immediate thought was: 'You're not going to kill my dog!' "

Mr. Tilley said he jumped on the bear's back, clutching it with his left hand, while with his right hand he thrust the six-inch blade into its throat. The knife slid in to the hilt. The bear loosened its grip on the dog.

And this guy's 55. Another feather in the cap for us old guys.

2. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Colbert is SO all over this.

3. leo1

leo1 Active Member

my immediate thought would've been "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...screw the dog, i'm outta here"

4. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Just another day at the office for a grizzled Canuck.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Unavailable for comment:

[​IMG]

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Some of the readers' comments are interesting.

A number maintain that the dog was the reason for the bear attack and that if the guy had been alone, the bear would probably have ignored him.

Also this:

w k from Canada writes: Quote: 'While it is illegal to kill a black bear without a permit, Ms. Kowalski (from the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources) said Mr. Tilley will probably not be charged because he acted in self-defence.' End of Quote. Just another chairwarming, paperpushing bureaucrat doing her job on behalf of ordinary Canadians.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Words to live by:

Don't fuck with Canadians.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Guy's regular job?

A courier.

9. Arrr.. courier be code for pirate. Don't be messing with no pirate or he'll send you down to ol Hobb.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Isn't National Talk Like a Pirate Day in September?

11. Arrr... I be speakin' in dis tongue since I went to the Pentacostal church on Sunday. The spirit be movin' me by Jove.

12. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

So the dog lived?

Draft saved Draft deleted