1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beale St or Broadway ?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, Feb 4, 2013.

1. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Yes. Job interview in DC. Since I don't own an iron myself, it was a windfall. (And I passed the interview)

Have also used to dry clothes -- I think this was in Madison -- when I didn't have enough quarters for the dryer.

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

You know that commercial with the interviewer and the kids, and he's asking them if they can do two things as once, and the kid goes, "I can do this (waves hand) and this (waggles head)" and the interviewer is just dumbstruck? That is me right now.

You dried all your clothes with an iron? How long did that take?

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I have never, ever used an iron. Not once. But I do like Memphis.

4. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Way too long! I think I wound up throwing everything in the back window of the car and letting the sun do its thing.

Need to remember the silly interviewer tricks for next time.

And man, I so want a road trip right now. Have fun.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I iron in hotel rooms more often than I do at home -- where I usually just throw the wrinkly clothes in the dryer.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I have never been to Memphis, Nashville or Oxford, Miss.
    I'd like to visit all three some day.

However, the prospect of driving from NY to Oxford sounds awful to me.

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Let's not get carried away. The fun part will be preceded by an extremely long drive (albeit with a very handsome man...who smokes cigars in the car), and followed by three days with my family, involving the marriage of my step-step-step-half niece to a young man majoring in Communication Disorders. Seriously, that's his major. His people had something to do with the Treaty of Dancing Rabbit Creek. I don't know if they were for or against.

As Buck noted above, a very very long trip from up north. Pretty sure Boom is only doing this for future SJ material.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

May I suggest a long weekend in Tahoe instead?

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Ok I'm finally going to ask. I've been around here a long time and know most of the inside SJ references but have never understood the "Tahoe" reference. Can someone enlighten me.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

As I understand it, Tahoe is the closest point (usually 15 minutes) to just about everything in SportsJournalists.com world and the default choice for every trip, no matter where you start. Although, I'm sure Dooley will come along and correct some inaccuracy.

Here's the SportsJournalists.com Style Guide:

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/29220/

11. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

I believe there was a job listing, one of whose inducements was that it was only 15 minutes to Tahoe. Only problem being, if the job's location was as stated, that was geographically impossible. From then on, everywhere was only 15 minutes from Tahoe.

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

First of all, whomever scheduled a wedding on graduation weekend in Oxford needs an ass whuppin. There won't be a hotel in Batesville, I'd imagine. Tupelo might be as close as you get, honestly.

Crowe has Oxford covered. Larry's and Ajax memories bring a tear to my eye ... seriously.

As for Memphis vs. Nashville, well Nashville's nicer and cleaner and safer and hipper. But Memphis is a jewel, too. My top two favorite Southern cities.

I'll PM later, but if you choose Memphis, skip Rendezvous and hit Central Barbecue over by the Liberty Bowl. Way better.

And, to whomever said the Peabody is the nicest hotel in the South, The Hermitage in Nashville would like a word. As would the Opryland.

And you will not beat AutoZone Park. By far, the best MiLB stadium in the South. I've been to most of them, and there's no comparison. I prefer it to any Big League park by smile.

If you choose Nashville, dinner is on me. We might even be able to coax HijeraHenry up, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted