1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beale St or Broadway ?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, Feb 4, 2013.

1. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

It's not going to make you more culturally literate, but everyone should visit Graceland once in their lifetime.

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Interesting. Have to believe you can rent an albino in Memphis, the demand can't be that high. I could pull off Abby McDeere, I resemble Jeanne Tripplehorn without the gigantic wax lips. Will have to find another role for Boom, though, he's 3 feet taller than Tom Cruise.

I always think of the Peabody as a place that people gush about, but then later admit they've never stayed there. (Bad grammar there, I know.)

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Ooh, rooms at the Peabody come with an ironing board!

Also a really bad comma after 'with.' I think we have to look into the Hampton Inn or something.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I will need to have my pants pressed after a long drive.

5. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

I have stayed at the Peabody, and it's beautiful. The fire alarm did go off in the middle of the night, as did the sprinkler system, so we spent a nice block of time standing outside the hotel at 3 AM. But that was several years ago and probably not a nightly occurrence. I think somebody on the hotel staff said a drunken band member pulled the alarm.

That makes the Peabody sound like a Best Western.

I don't know what to tell you.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I seriously considered taking the $50K to move down there.

http://www.haaretz.com/jewish-world/2.209/group-offers-jews-50-000-to-move-to-u-s-bible-belt-town-1.253440

7. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

Be prepared to pay an arm and a leg to get into Graceland.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Memphis is underrated. The music and food, Sun Records, Stax Records, Graceland, the hotel were MLK was shot. Also worth hitting Tupelo and seeing the home Elvis was born in. Clarksdale, Miss. (The Crossroads) is also worth a look.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

The National Civil Rights Museum — built on the grounds of the Lorraine Motel, the aforementioned place where King was shot — is really outstanding.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Peabody looks a tad more "touristy" than I would have imagined.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

But it's worth it. And I say that as not a huge Elvis fan.

Get the audio tour guide thing. And charge your camera batteries.

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

As an Elvis fan I thought Graceland was cool (also did the Spinal Tap "Heartbreak Hotel" thing at his graveside) but for a music freak like me touring Sun Studios was awesome.

Draft saved Draft deleted