1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beale St or Broadway ?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Need some travel advise. 21 and I have to head to a wedding around Oxford in the spring.

Since we have some time we thought it might be fun to drive,given that weather will not be an issue that time of year.

Thinking of stopping along the way in either Nashville or Memphis. I've been to Nashville and have always enjoyed even though I am not a big country music fan.

Leaning towards Memphis. Any local insight would be much appreciated.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Both are awesome. If you've been to Nashville and not Memphis, give Memphis a shot.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

You can eat better in Memphis. The bars are cooler in Nashville.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

This is ridiculous.

I mean, oh yay, a road trip! To the first Jewish wedding the history of Oxford Mississippi! Perhaps in all of Mississippi!

On the other hand, some potential for the first official Giblets wedding.

Also, where would you stay in Memphis if cost was not an issue?

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I should add that 21 wants to fly but I've convinced her ( I think ) that it would be fun to drive.

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Okay, I just looked this up.

Mississippi has a population of around 3 million. 1500 Jews.

I can't believe there even are that many. They'll probably all be at this wedding.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I have no idea as to the quality of the rooms in the Peabody, but it's definitely the signature hotel in Memphis, if not in all of the Deep South. And it's a 3-minute walk from Rendezvous.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

That's where I would stay. And I would eat at the Rendezvous as many times as possible. I'll agree with whoever said the bars in Nashville are better. Boom, take in a Memphis Redbirds game at AutoZone park, a gorgeous yard that's an easy walk from Beale. Light years ahead of the Nashville Sounds' shithole of a stadium.

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Funny you mention that--One of my first jobs sent me to Bear Bryant's last game, which was the Liberty Bowl in 1983. Stayed at a disgusting motel but everyone said I had to go see the ducks at the Peabody. Sat there for an hour waiting to see ducks. I saw them. An hour I will never get back. Maybe we should give it another chance. If Boom can smoke cigars in the lobby, we're in.

10. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Recommend the Peabody, too. Also, you can reenact scenes from "The Firm" while you are visiting. Boom can play the role of Mitch McDeere. 21, you can be Abby McDeere. Jeanne Tripplehorn sucked in that role, anyway. You may have to hire an Albino, however. He had some pivotal moments in Memphis.

11. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Quack, quack.

I love Nashville, but honestly, I think I'd pick Memphis on this one. Maybe because I've only been there once.

It's a win either way.

12. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

We just had a Nashville thread. Go to Memphis so we can all talk out of our asses about something else.

Draft saved Draft deleted