1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beach vacation help

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Dec 31, 2009.

1. Here's the deal...
    Our annual OBX vacation is becoming more than we can afford. Do does anyone no of any nice, beach areas like the Outer Banks in NC, Va., or Maryland?
    I am NOT looking for Ocean City or Nags Head. I want miles of rental places, a few places to eat, a grocery store and miles and miles of sandy beach...
    Anyone?

2. eiregi

eiregi Member

shore drive in myrtle beach... secluded from the rest of myrte and within a half mile of a Krogers and restaurant row on 17. google 'shore drive myrtle'... the rates are fair and offer many different options. laid back area with a wide beach and a swash which keeps the quiet...

3. John

John Well-Known Member

You might check out Fripp Island, S.C. It might now be cheaper than the Outer Banks.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Sandbridge, just outside of Virginia Beach.

Haven't been there in a while, though, so I'm not sure what prices are like now.

I swore I'd find an isolated beach this summer and take my dogs. My big girl died last summer and we never took her to the beach, which bothers my son and me to no end. A Lab needs some time on a beach.

5. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Topsail Island (Surf City and Topsail Beach are the towns) in North Carolina.

6. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

If you go to Topsail, go to Buddy's and get the steamer bucket -- crab legs, shrimp, clams, oysters, corn, spuds -- cost about $40 but enough for two. My goodness it's good. If you want to cook your own, the Crab Pot right after you come off the bridge is a good place for fresh seafood.

7. Mitch E.

Mitch E. Member

Love the OBX. Not sure about your situation, but if you can swing an off-season week, the prices drop considerably. Usually early June and Sept. are still considered off-season, although if you have kids this may not work.

8. John

John Well-Known Member

I worked for the Outer Banks paper for a couple of years in the early 2000s — lived in Nags Head one year and Manteo the other — and I still miss the place. At least the place I grew to love in the offseason. It's hell there in the summers because of the crowds and the limited ways to get around.

I was glad I left when I did because the place was losing a lot of its charm due to so many of the smaller houses being knocked down to build 8-bedroom mansions.

Mitch is right, if you can swing an offseason trip, you're probably much better off.

The Morehead City-Atlantic Beach-Beaufort area isn't as glamorous, but it's definitely cheaper.

9. THat;s when we go... Early June. Usually a week or two before the "peak" season.
    We've been going there since the early 1990s.

10. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

How much does a week in off-peak times run in the OBX?

11. part-timer

part-timer Member

I know it's a little more south, but Kiawah Island in S.C. may be worth a look. We went through vrbo.com a couple of times and got a week for a little over $1000.

12. Mitch E.

Mitch E. Member

I'm going off the top of my head here, but late May, early June will be between 1K and 2K for a week, depending on number of bedrooms, vicinity to the beach, etc. Thankfully, and this is something I am grateful for every time I wake up in North Carolina, is my wife has a connection down there, so we are hooked up. If that wasn't the case, the only way we could swing it would be to do a joint vacation with family or friends, so we could split the cost of the house.

Another good thing about the area is you don't need to spend a shitload of money on amusement park tickets and such. And with a house, you can make a trip to the Food Lion and cook from the house instead of going out for meals. Of course, throw in a round or two of golf and your budget is screwed.

Draft saved Draft deleted