1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beach Boys Breakup Mid-tour

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ifilus, Sep 27, 2012.

1. I should be more pissed about this, I guess, but I got to see Brian Wilson — one of my musical idols — live with a good selection of the Beach Boys (I have no qualms about missing Blondie Chaplin and Daryl Dragon) at a reasonable price before it happened. So what I learned is Mike Love is a dick and that Al Jardine will soon be...I have no idea. Can he even play Beach Boys songs if he did his own thing?

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Maybe Brian and Mike got into a spat over Hybrid cars:
    From a Wahsington Post interview with Wilson:

As a car buff, what do you think of hybrid cars?
    Hybrids? What's a hybrid?

New cars that electricity and gas instead of the old-fashioned big engines.
    I'm not really familiar with that.

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Chuck Negron, in his autobiography, "Three Dog Nightmare," wrote about his drug-shattered life as one of the lead vocalists for Three Dog Night years ago. In that book, he also related how the Beach Boys and their management were total industry dicks back in the day. For example, not allowing 3DN to record some songs that the Beach Boys had no interest in. I forget all the details, but the Beach Boys came off as paranoid and overly protective about their success and industry status. Which is somewhat understandable, given their success, but the story made it clear that some of them never were easy to get along with.

4. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

He sat in front of a grand piano most of the show but did not actually play. It did loook/sound like he was singing though. Jardine and Marks were easily the best performers, Love sounded winded and Johnston stood behind a set of keyboards not really doing anything.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

When I saw the tour schedule I thought they were trying to kill Brian. It was insane.

Draft saved Draft deleted