1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beach Boys Breakup Mid-tour

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ifilus, Sep 27, 2012.

1. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

The band's frontman Mike Love announced that the group will split after this week in the U.K. and three members -- Brian Wilson, Al Jardine and David Marks -- have been dropped from the group. The three did not find out they had been dropped until Love and Bruce Johnston released a public statement.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/26/beach-boys-dump-three-members-public-statement-uk-tour_n_1916065.html#slide=955873

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Mike Love : Brian Wilson :: Roger Daltry : Pete Townshend

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The difference being that Love=Townshend as far as having the ultimate say. And this is all the same simple matter that it's been for decades: Mike Love has to be in control of the endless summer, and is pissed that Brian Wilson is regarded as the true force behind the Beach Boys. Which Brian Wilson is, but Mike Love has kept the band alive through many decades when Brian was in lala land.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

So Brian Wilson delivered perhaps the greatest album ever and a bunch of other major pop music landmarks, then Mike Love made sure they could all get together occasionally to sing for aging Baby Boomers.

#TEAMWILSON

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Who do these guys think they are? Van Halen?

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Well, that was nice while it lasted, I guess. Their new album is good, and they played the 50 anniversary shows.

Beach Boys tours have pretty much been Mike Love's personal cash cow for at least 25 years, and he's not going to change his business machine just because a few "good vibrations" happened on the 50th anniversary tour.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

There's a Mike Love version of the Beach Boys on tour every year, in all fairness. And it's not a matter of #teamwilson; everyone pretty much thinks Mike Love is a venial shit, and I could bring a lot more about him to the Politics thread. But in the end, a lot of the power regarding the Beach Boys as a group fell into his lap as one who found relative sanity and sobriety, not to mention survival, before others. The Beach Boys as an artistic entity is all Brian and has been largely fallow since 1970.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Thanks. That makes sense. I've never looked into their non-musical back story more than knowing Brian Wilson went off the deep end, then released Smile.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Rolling Stone had a story on the tour a few issues back (can't find a link to it on their shitty site) that pretty much hinted this would happen.

10. Dash 7

Dash 7 Member

From what I understand, this was always the agreement. They would do a certain number of shoes together, and then Love would leave to tour with his version of the Beach Boys. I don't think this is being reported accurately or fairly, which makes sense since everyone hates Mike Love.

11. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Brian Wilson should try to be more fair and accurate.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I guess this means Uncle Jesse will have to come on board.

Draft saved Draft deleted