1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Be sure to silence all phones ... and reporters

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mediaguy, Sep 9, 2013.

1. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Jim Mora's trying to talk about one of his players who died over the weekend, and reporter talks on phone. I have no problem with Mora doing what he did.

.be

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Mora was right, but he could have handled it better. I hate hearing "shut up" come out of anyone's mouth.

He should have told the person to leave the room, while commenting on their lack of respect, and then continued.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Who the hell was that reporter? Someone needs to name that dumbshit.

No problem at all with Mora. Shut up was the right response. I would have lost it a lot more than that, I think.

4. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

It's getting scary what slaves we're becoming to our phones. (As I type this on my phone.) Cell phones have made us almost too available in life.

If I were that reporter, I'd consider making up a story about my wife going into labor.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Very true. Doesn't anyone have voicemail? Can't you take a message and call someone back in a few minutes. The rude things I've seen people do involving cell phones just make me shake my head.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Shit like this is why people hate the media.

It's one thing for your phone to go off in a professional and/or solemn setting. Makes you want to crawl in a hole, but I think we've all been there.

It's another to answer it. Just hit "ignore," apologize and set it to vibrate.

7. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Making up a story would make things better? Not knowing what the call was about, my offhand idea would be to man up and offer a sincere apology.
    But I do agree about the becoming slaves to phones part. For example, I've never quite understood guys who go into a stall in a public restroom and not only answer the phone, but then hold a conversation.
    A few weeks ago I was covering a city council meeting when one of the councilors took a phone call. Instead of quickly ending the call or leaving the room, he stayed in his seat and yakked on for at least five minutes, even after the mayor yelled "JIM, HANG UP!" at him three times.

8. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure this isn't why people hate the media. I've never been in a presser where someone actually answers a phone.

9. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

According to Ryan Kartje of the OC Register, "A media member, apparently attempting to set up a live feed near a far window, was loudly speaking on a cell phone..."

He also said on Twitter that "He was a camera guy/technician, I think from NBC."

So, not a reporter.

10. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Geez, a TV or radio talk show guy did this? Knock me over with a feather.

11. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Yep, it's a real simple process. "Ring!" Ignore. Set to vibrate. Apologize. Walk outside. Call the person back. Easy.

Mora was 100 percent right.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I think Mora spoke for most of us who have wanted to rip one of these TV shooters/techs, etc. They're the most impolite assholes in a locker room or news conference.

Draft saved Draft deleted