1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BCS weenies tell Congress the obvious

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, May 1, 2009.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

What's Utah and Boise State's record in BCS games? 3-0, right?

2. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

See, that's where I disagree Pallister. The government should get involved if for nothing more than to level the playing field for the hundreds and thousands of college student-athletes from non BCS schools who are currently getting boned by this system.

You can argue that the country has better things to worry about, and I won't disagree with you there, but stop trying to make it seem like our representatives looking into this means they won't be able to take health care reform. That's bull and you know it.

At the end of the day, I say pay student athletes for their time and have a playoff system. I don't see the harm either would do.

3. pallister

pallister Guest

Please. There is even less chance a non-BCS team would win a national title with a playoff. No way a Boise State or Utah is beating three other top teams. No way. The current system isn't perfect, but it's not terrible, either. If Texas had gotten in last year instead of OU, they would have lost to Florida. The best team won the national title. A 2-loss LSU team the year before? Well, Louisiana is always fucking shit up.

And schez, the GOVERNMENT HAS 9,000 OTHER IMPORTANT THINGS IT SHOULD BE DEALING WITH BEFORE IT TACKLES SOMETHING THAT, IN THE GRAND SCHEME OF THINGS, IS INSIGNIFICANT!

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

We won't ever know that unless we have a playoff, will we? They could win three games just the same. We won't ever know.

5. pallister

pallister Guest

Like I said, as a football fan, I'd like to see it, but I'm not gonna lose sleep over it.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Me neither, I've given up on the idea of a college football playoff of some sort. Love to see it, know it won't happen.

7. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Just because you can hit the Caps lock key on your computer doesn't make your point any less idiotic. Yes, there are a ton of things more important than this but, please, please tell me how Congress fixing a problem that affects over 140 schools with over 50 athletes and a couple of hundred thousand fans apiece is a bad thing.

Tell me how it takes away from what they're doing to fix the economy, reform health care and govern.

Please.

I'm genuinely interested.

If your elected officials can't handle taking on more than one issue at a time, well, clearly they're not qualified for the job.

8. pallister

pallister Guest

It's not their fucking job to "fix" the BCS. Who the fuck cares what some jackass college football fanbois want? Other than jackass college football fanbois. And as to how it takes away from fixing shit that really matters, well, the more time they spend on nonsense like college football's national championship system, the less time they spend on stuff that really makes a difference. You do the understand how time works, right?

I'll reiterate that anyone who votes for a politician because of their stance on college football or supports government intervention into something so worthless deserves the worst representation possible.

9. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

As long as you were this passionately against the dog-and-pony show with Mark McGwire and company, fine.
    But this crap isn't any less important than the whole baseball/steroids fiasco.

10. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Yeah, but you know, it's like when you're hard at work, but you need a short break to refresh the old noodle, so you go stack [cross/thread] for a few minutes or maybe play a little mah-jong. Then it's back to work. BCS hearings are, for Congress, like stacking. A mindless break. :)

11. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

If Congress wants to talk college sports, they ought to talk about the massive amounts of corruption, the arcane rules the NCAA uses to define amateurism, the exploitation of 18-22 year old kids, the idea that not enough of the major sport kids are graduating and any of the other issues that have an actual affect on people's lives.

But, being that it's Congress, they won't.

I never realized it until I started working near Congress, but if you check the schedule of committee hearings, you'd be astounded at some of the things these people talk about all day.

12. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

I think there's a handful of us, including myself, who has seen the corruption and greed of the NCAA before our eyes. Congress should be obligated to clean this fraud of a legitimate organization up before even touching on the football Bowl controversy.

Draft saved Draft deleted